Is this bad practice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm only on my second batch so I still have a lot of questions

On my first batch I did a 2.5 gallon boil. I didn't know I was supposed to use sanitized water for the topoff, so I just used tapwater from the squirt nozzle.

Beer turned out good,

So I repeated that for my second batch which is still in the primary. Basicly the primary sets on the floor and the squirt hose is short so I shoot water into the bucket from about 4 feet away which creates a fair amount of bubbles on the top of the beer. (And a lot of water on the floor) Aside from the fact that I'm using tapwater which I know a lot of you will frown upon, is there any problem with the squirt method? It stirs up the wort pretty well and makes a lot of bubbles on top....soo.....can this also count as my aeration too?

There are some potential issues with using the sprayer to top off. Mainly the bacteria that may be on the sprayer tip and in the water.

Also using non-boiled tap water may have excessive chlorine (according to the ppm in your area).

But hey, if you like your end result then there are no issue with your practice.
I would still suggest the shake the gay out of the fermenter to get good aeration. better aeration = less off flavors in the final product.

I wouldn't use water straight out of the tap, but I know there are a good number of folks here that do it all the time without any issues. It really depends on your water and if it works for you, then it's your beer and you can do what you want.

As for the long distance quirt method... I use bottled top up water and try to pour them from a bit of a height into the wort so it aerates as it goes. Pretty much what you're doing, but your sprayer probably aerates even more since it's going in as a bunch of thin streams instead of one big one.

You could boil 2.5 - 3 gals. of tap water before you brew. Set it aside to cool down (or boil it the night before and cover it). Use that as your top off water. I just use my regular tap water, but the water for my area is good for beer (Right on Lake Michigan and good chemical levels).

I would find or get a water report for your area and make your decision what to do from there.

Just buy a big jug of distilled water and put it in your freezer an hour or two before you brew. Sanitize the nozzle on it and then pour it in to your wort cooling everything down further in the process. I also pour way above the fermenter to try and aerate as well. I just bought a 2.5 gallon jug for under 2 bucks.

Do whatever you want and have fun doing it. Keep in mind that brewing is an art that is 4 thousand years old, a long time before sanitizers and picky brewing practices set in. If you get an infection, it's not the end of the world, it's just bad beer. :ban:

I use tap water filtered through a brita and always have.. I'm by no stretch award winning or a pro, but I haven't thrown out any beer because it was bad either. The only reason I run it through the brita is because we have well water and it tastes like poo otherwise.

I do it very similar, but without spraying water on the floor. I use tap water, straight from the sprayer to top off my batches. Spraying it in aerates it nicely. I've done this for the past five batches and they all turned out great.

I use spring water that i found found on sale at my local store. I know a couple brews that uses the if the water out the tap tastes good it normally good to brew with. If it doesn't taste good just boil 5 to six gallon before brewing. I am lazy so like i said before i buy spring water to use, u can always found at the store a gallon of water for a buck for 6 bucks cant go wrong

Latest posts

Back