Graff (Malty, slightly hopped cider)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I experienced a first for me. I cooked this up the other night (just a few, small tweaks). I used Safale US-05, didn't hydrate it, sprinkled it right in, it was bubbling through my blowoff tube in under an hour.

I don't hydrate Safale US-05 anymore either. It's just one more step that could possibly introduce an infection. It's always worked great so far.

So... I have had this in primary for a bit over two weeks now, and the krausen still hasn't fallen. Has anyone else noticed this? I used Safale-05 and the basic recipe as posted, subbing flaked wheat and 1 gallon of cranberry/raspberry. The krausen o this went like 4 or 5 inches, and seems to be taking it's sweet time...

I know, I know... RDWHAHB. Let the yeast do their job. I am honestly just curious... :)

I'm at 2 weeks in the primary and although my Krausen has long ago fallen, I'm still getting some substantial bubbling in my airlock (about 1/minute, which seems a lot all things considered). It's not exactly a small brew (my initial estimates put it at about 6.5-7%ABV) so my guess is it's just a long fermenter.

Random Aside, Any one have any idea at the amount of sugar/other starches left in this at the end of fermentation? My Dad's a Diabetic and wants to know if he can have one. I'd imagine it's not many given that all the fermentable sugars should be converented to Alcohol.

I'm at 2 weeks in the primary and although my Krausen has long ago fallen, I'm still getting some substantial bubbling in my airlock (about 1/minute, which seems a lot all things considered). It's not exactly a small brew (my initial estimates put it at about 6.5-7%ABV) so my guess is it's just a long fermenter.

It's probably just off-gassing a little and nothing to worry about. Take a hydrometer reading now and again in a few days to see if the SG is still dropping. It can be very difficult to gauge fermentation by watching your airlock.

Alright, it's been in the primary for two weeks now and the FG is 1.010. I followed the recipe to the "T" using 120L and Kent Goldings.

This stuff is fantastic. It goes down smooth and finishes with a hint of apple. It has a mild brown color that I'd say is a tad bit darker than plain Apple Cider.

Sorry Ed, but this stuff kicks Apfewein square in the teeth (and it's only at two weeks)! I'm going to let it go for another couple of weeks and then it will go straight into the kegerator.

Thanks for the recipe sir,
J

I found the taste changes considerably on aging. I really liked it when I bottled after 3 weeks. Nice and apple-y. After priming and bottle conditioning for a couple of weeks, it tasted very malty. More like beer with little or no apple taste. Then after a few more weeks in the bottle, a little more carbonation and the balance between the apple and malt was coming back. I made a batch of Apfelwein at about the same time, and I have to say I like the Apfelwein better at this point...but BOTH are very young and changing flavors whenever I crack open one.

GRAFF: Started on 5-Sep-2009, bottled on 27-Sep-2009
Apfelwein: Started 27-Aug-2009, bottled 7-Nov-2009)

I found the taste changes considerably on aging. I really liked it when I bottled after 3 weeks. Nice and apple-y. After priming and bottle conditioning for a couple of weeks, it tasted very malty. More like beer with little or no apple taste. Then after a few more weeks in the bottle, a little more carbonation and the balance between the apple and malt was coming back. I made a batch of Apfelwein at about the same time, and I have to say I like the Apfelwein better at this point...but BOTH are very young and changing flavors whenever I crack open one.

Apfelwein is just a little boring to me. I really enjoy the smoothness that the graff has compared to Apfelwein.

This probably derives from the fact that I'm much more of a beer person than a wine person and Apfelwein tastes a lot like white wine.

They're both good in their different ways. I wonder if adding the priming sugar changed the taste a bit. That's one of the reasons I quit bottling. I noticed a certain taste every time I bottled through the years.

I'm sure it's delicious,
J

I wonder how well graff would age and taste after say a year in the bottle...I still have 2 set aside from June.

It's probably just off-gassing a little and nothing to worry about. Take a hydrometer reading now and again in a few days to see if the SG is still dropping. It can be very difficult to gauge fermentation by watching your airlock.

I'm not worried, I can't bottle until after Thanksgiving anyway. Three weeks in the Fermenter oughtta do it.

All right, guys. I've been wanting to give this recipe a shot for a few weeks now, and today I finally made it happen. I did a batch based on Skybrew's all grain recipe (page 46). Because of cash constraints, as well as being unsure of how I'll like this concoction, I did a small, 2.5 gallon batch. Everything went pretty well, though the only size fermenters I have available are 6 gal carboys. I'm a bit unsure how it'll so, being such a small batch in such a big carboy with all that headspace, but I'm hoping for the best. I'll keep ya posted.

All right, guys. I've been wanting to give this recipe a shot for a few weeks now, and today I finally made it happen. I did a batch based on Skybrew's all grain recipe (page 46). Because of cash constraints, as well as being unsure of how I'll like this concoction, I did a small, 2.5 gallon batch. Everything went pretty well, though the only size fermenters I have available are 6 gal carboys. I'm a bit unsure how it'll so, being such a small batch in such a big carboy with all that headspace, but I'm hoping for the best. I'll keep ya posted.

I think it will be just fine. Gas from the yeast should fill up the head space creating a barrier to the fermenting wort, so it's not that big of a deal.

Brewed a 5g batch of this last night before our Thanksgiving feast. It's a bit cold here so the fermentation was slow coming, but it's picking up now (put my fermenter heater wrap on it). Used half an ounce of Crystal hops and 4g of Martinelli's apple juice. It smells nice and appley and am looking forward to this in a couple weeks. :ban:

wow. life happened, and my graff sat in primary for like 2 months. it sat on a lot of yeast because it fermented on a leftover cake of Pacman. Kegged the graff today, and my nose was met with a pretty powerful yeast odor. Hoping for the best, preparing to dump it and try again. This stuff is cheap to make, and I have no time to drink less than optimal brew!

So... I have had this in primary for a bit over two weeks now, and the krausen still hasn't fallen. Has anyone else noticed this? I used Safale-05 and the basic recipe as posted, subbing flaked wheat and 1 gallon of cranberry/raspberry. The krausen o this went like 4 or 5 inches, and seems to be taking it's sweet time...

I know, I know... RDWHAHB. Let the yeast do their job. I am honestly just curious... :)

I too used Safale 05, and mine has been in primary for a week, bubbles have slowed to one every 40-45 seconds, and I still have a few inches of kraeusen. Don't think I've ever seen that happen before, but then again, I've never made anything with apple juice before...

Ok... week 3.5 and the krausen is holding steady and 1.5 inches with large bubbles... I know it will fall eventually, but dang. Anyone had a krausen go this long? Is it peculiar to this brew?

Quick question about Graff.

Is it possible to bottle this like wine, with out carbing it? Or does it have to be carbed?

Quick question about Graff.

Is it possible to bottle this like wine, with out carbing it? Or does it have to be carbed?

I wouldn't. Mine didn't taste very good until I dialed in the carbonation. I carbonated it more than most of my beers...it just didn't taste right until I hit 14psi at 38 degrees, which is 2.8 volumes if I looked at the chart correctly.

Eric

I wouldn't. Mine didn't taste very good until I dialed in the carbonation. I carbonated it more than most of my beers...it just didn't taste right until I hit 14psi at 38 degrees, which is 2.8 volumes if I looked at the chart correctly.

Eric

Idk. I think this stuff is good still, but even better carbed. I had some still the other day after about a month and it was good, but I do like it carbed a bit better.

I guess it's up to you.

J

Hey thanks for the replies. I just got into Homebrewing and do not have a keg or anything of the sort to carb it up.

Has anyone tried this still after say 6 months... 1 year? I am looking at making wine more than beer.

Thanks again for your input!

Hey thanks for the replies. I just got into Homebrewing and do not have a keg or anything of the sort to carb it up.

Has anyone tried this still after say 6 months... 1 year? I am looking at making wine more than beer.

Just bottle condition it and prime with corn sugar. I don't have keg equipment and I bottle carb all of my beers. You'll be fine.

No But I do have 1 bottle I'm gonna age for a year.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I was just wondering if it had to be carb'ed or if you could bottle it still. If it was bottled still I was wondering if it held it's flavor after 6 months or a year (or got better). I was hoping to not carb it at all if possible.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I was just wondering if it had to be carb'ed or if you could bottle it still. If it was bottled still I was wondering if it held it's flavor after 6 months or a year (or got better). I was hoping to not carb it at all if possible.

Why would you not carbonate it? I don't know how it would taste uncarbed and cold, but it definitely would not taste like a hard apple cider, which is what it was intended to be.

Eric

Got ya, that’s what I was wondering (if it had to be carb’ed or not). I have some apfelwein going right now and wondered if this was similar, but with a different taste. Thanks for the input.

Graff is more like BEER, Apfelwein is more like Wine.. both good in their own way but different. Flat beer GENERALLY tastes worse than fizzy wine (IMHO)...

Thanks for clearing that up. That’s what I was wondering. I thought this was like apfelwein, just with different ingredients. I guess when the time comes, I will research on how to bottle carb...

My dad said he tried an apple beer a long time ago and liked it. He thought the idea of Graff was fantastic one. Might have to do this in the near future for him.

Thanks again for the input!

Alrighty, after reading this thread months ago...I finally made a batch.
10 gallon batch

Nottigham (1 per five gallon, wanted to make sure they were done in two weeks)

Tree Top Apple Juice
1 lb. Med Crystal (all I had)
2 oz. of Wheat (still need to find out what torrified is, again what I had on hand)
2.5 lbs. of Light DME (all I had)
1 oz. Cascades

Less than 30 min. on boil, less than 30 min. on steep (155 steep and the 170 sparge were right on). I ran out of time and had to get to work, SWMBO so nice to clean up, my 2 primaries are on kitchen floor right now. I just needed something in Primaries, been sick, then Thanksgiving (no pipeline). This way Sat. I can brew after moving the Graff to the five gallon fermenters (I have two 6 gal Pri. and two 5 gal secondaries). So when I come back and tell you guys that it was good, after cutting all these corners, you guys know Brandon O has got a winner!:rockin:

My batch was carbed and ready in the keg today, so I tasted it. It did not have any yeast bite, though it smelled like it would. Unfortunately, it is quite a bit too sour for my liking... I can taste a very promising flavor in there somewhere, but it's just too puckering for me. May be a dumper to make room for a mild :(

EDIT:
I used Mott's applejuice. I can tell that I definitely want to try this out again, but I think i'd go for fresh juice without added acids.

Alrighty, after reading this thread months ago...I finally made a batch.
10 gallon batch

Nottigham (1 per five gallon, wanted to make sure they were done in two weeks)

1 lb. Med Crystal (all I had)
2 oz. of Wheat (still need to find out what torrified is, again what I had on hand)
2.5 lbs. of Light DME (all I had)
1 oz. Cascades

Less than 30 min. on boil, less than 30 min. on steep (155 steep and the 170 sparge were right on). I ran out of time and had to get to work, SWMBO so nice to clean up, my 2 primaries are on kitchen floor right now. I just needed something in Primaries, been sick, then Thanksgiving (no pipeline). This way Sat. I can brew after moving the Graff to the five gallon fermenters (I have two 6 gal Pri. and two 5 gal secondaries). So when I come back and tell you guys that it was good, after cutting all these corners, you guys know Brandon O has got a winner!:rockin:

what was the AA on your cascades? I generally prefer something around 3 or 4%

My batch was carbed and ready in the keg today, so I tasted it. It did not have any yeast bite, though it smelled like it would. Unfortunately, it is quite a bit too sour for my liking... I can taste a very promising flavor in there somewhere, but it's just too puckering for me. May be a dumper to make room for a mild :(

EDIT:
I used Mott's applejuice. I can tell that I definitely want to try this out again, but I think i'd go for fresh juice without added acids.

boy you said a mouth full. It makes a huge difference and a mellow tasting apple cider when you use fresh pressed.

Graff is more like BEER, Apfelwein is more like Wine.. both good in their own way but different. Flat beer GENERALLY tastes worse than fizzy wine (IMHO)...

For me, Graff is a cider. Everyone is different, but I think it tastes like commercial ciders I have had before. I thought every combination of sugar, juice, and yeast tasted like hooch.

Really, i think apfelwein tastes like hooch until it is a year old and then it just tastes thin and slightly apple. Switching yeasts didn't matter too much, they all lacked body and drink ability.

Tastes like a cider should, pronounced apple flavor up front, tart gives way to a slightly malty body, a tiny hint of bitter ends the tart nicely, notes of Carmel grains, with a very slight sweet finish.

mine has been in the primary for 3 weeks, and has a slight sulfur hint to it. I do not really consider it drinkable yet and am hesitant to bottle, yet would like to free up a carboy. how long do you typically let this stuff go in the primary? do you rack it, or just bottle?

EDIT:

You can buy commercial Apple Juice without added vitamin c. I believe CERTAIN styles of Tree Top Apple Juice and their Apple Cider do not have the added acid. I prefer these over all other so called cheap off the shelf Apple Juices or Ciders.

J

Don't give up on this recipe. It's a damn tasty beverage if made properly.

J

You can buy commercial Apple Juice without added vitamin c. I believe CERTAIN styles of Tree Top Apple Juice and their Apple Cider do not have the added acid. I prefer these over all other so called cheap off the shelf Apple Juices or Ciders.

J

Don't give up on this recipe. It's a damn tasty beverage if made properly.

J

its sad because I can tell it has tons of potential. I may be able to turn this batch into something drinkable with some backsweetening treatment. my next try will be with quality juice.

Back