Portable A/C unit on Woot!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
I've been scheming on a way to keep my brewhouse/laundry-room colder, so as to facilitate correct ale fermentation temps without an ice bath or taking up the slot in the lagerator. This looks like a pretty good deal. Still expensive at $200, but there's no other way to get cool air into that room. Waddayathink?

Been eying that myself. My only problem is we just bought new flooring last weekend and there's no money in the checkbook. :mad: I'd be all over it otherwise. Would be nice to have something like that to move around the house in the summer too as it always seems way to hot in the room you're working. The venting could be a pain in some cases.

For $200 why not just make another lagerator, or, ale-erator? Not to mention it would be waayy better on electricity cooling a 5 cu ft space to 65 degrees vs. cooling your whole fermenting room to that temp. Do you need to cool many carboys at a time?

For $200 bucks I'd just pick up a chest freezer or fridge on craigslist and pocket the remaining $150. If you don't have the space for that (like yours truly), then yeah, the A/C unit should work.

I'm with Chill and Jaded; get yourself a fridge or chest freezer, Craigslist one if you can find a decent one, and another temp controller. Seems like it would be MUCH more cost- and energy-efficient over time, until you can build a proper (John Beere-esque) cold room with uber insulation and all that.

Back