Semi-Sweet Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muse435

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am planning on making one gallon of semi-sweet mead.

3 gal. Clover Honey
1 pk. Lalvin D47 Yeast
water to fill to 1 gal.

Do I need yeast nutrient, if so how much?
Do I need yeast energizer, if so how much?

just throw sum boiled raisens in for neutrient or id say 1-1 1/2 tsp of DAP for 1 gal... for semi sweet you should shoot for 1.010-1.015 on the FG

DAP= Di Amonium Phosphate - a Nitogen source for building DNA and other complex cell molecules needed or yeast growth. You might find some 'yeast nutrient' sold that is pretty much the same thing.

btw, I assume you ment 3lb of honey, not 3 gal in your receipe?

diammonium phosphate.. its a yeast neutrient sold at most LHBS.. if you have some old bakers yeast you can use it too.. boild a cup of water and throw a pack in too kill the yeast and let it cool = neutrient :)

DAP= Di Amonium Phosphate - a Nitogen source for building DNA and other complex cell molecules needed or yeast growth. You might find some 'yeast nutrient' sold that is pretty much the same thing.

btw, I assume you ment 3lb of honey, not 3 gal in your receipe?

my bad, i ment 3 lbs

It's usually best if you use a "complete" nutrient i.e. one with DAP, but also the micro nutrients etc, like FermaidK or Fermax or similar. They look like an off white, or tan coloured powder. Whereas DAP usually appears as white crystals.

It's also common to mix them i.e. work out what the dosage is for the size of batch, then make it 40% DAP and 60% "complete" nutrient. This would then be split in 2. The first part being added once the "lag phase" has finished (that's when you've pitched the yeast, and after a while you see some airlock activity). You'd then give it a stir once or twice a day, testing the gravity after stirring, because you'd have to add the second half at the 1/3rd sugar break e.g. start gravity of 1.100, so the 1/3rd break is at 1.066 - that'd normally be the point where you give it it's last stir/aeration, add the second part of the nutrient/DAP/etc etc to the test sample (that's just told you that it's at the 1/3rd break), mix it into solution and then it's all added back into the batch, swirled to mix it in, then airlocking the batch and allowing it to finish...

regards

fatbloke

Back