Froze my starter and harvested yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justintoxicated

Reaction score
I accidentally froze my starter. New mini fridge just for holding yeast and some beers... I guess I turned it up too high.

One of my canning jar lids flexed and cracked and the yeast is all frozen. Not sure if it is still worth keeping? Transfer to a new sterilized jar?

Also the starter I made last night froze too (mostly). Should I make another starter from this one or would it be ok to brew with it today?

...you cracked the glass of the jar, not the lid?

Let it warm up to room temperature. Add some more sugar and see if it starts up again.

it might have done some strange things to the yeast, but it is probably still alive.

I keep my Red Star for bread making in the freezer.

...you cracked the glass of the jar, not the lid?

Let it warm up to room temperature. Add some more sugar and see if it starts up again.

it might have done some strange things to the yeast, but it is probably still alive.

I keep my Red Star for bread making in the freezer.

So make another starter during the week, and brew next weekend?

As for the jar, the lid bent upward and started leaking, the jar is ok.

Cool, I'd have expected the glass to break.

I like to experiment.

If I had some LME around, I'd mix it up and try the frozen yeast - small batch.

I'd bet it's OK though.

If you are spending a lot on grain etc - use new yeast just to avoid off flavors. It's good insurance.

I froze some washed yeast before and it turned out fine. Warm it up and if you have time, make a new starter just to be sure!

So should I just can't the existing starter, make a new one, and pour the starter wort over whats in the current starter? I think there is a lot of trub in there though, since I used 2 of the jars I had washed (one was from September). The starter took right off and finished quickly though...

I guess I can probably just stick it in the mini fridge, leave the foam stopper in do a 1L this Wednesday cold crash, and brew next Saterday? Unless the starter is fine I cause then I could probably brew right now.

Back