Pacman yeast is a beast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zanemoseley

Reaction score
Man, I got 2 smack packs of pacman and did 2 small starter step ups for a 10 gallon batch of dead guy I'm making, it ended up 1.058 OG. I finished brewing at about 5pm on Sunday and I had really good bubble action the next morning before I went to work. Under 12 hours to a nice fermentation is awesome in my book. Today this thing is rolling like microwave popcorn. I'm making a starter of some of the yeast I saved from the pitch. I think I'm going to have to try this for several different beers coming up.

Oh and one thing I forgot to mention was that my fermentation chamber is set to keep the beer a 60*F since I've heard that Rogue keeps theirs close to this. Truly amazing, if I let it get up to 75 it would be like WWIII inside the better bottle.

Yeppers. That is one attenuative yeast as well. I've had it take 1.065-1.070 beers down to 1.009. Sometimes you wish it would leave a couple extra points on the beer for body.

I did 4 different brews with PacMan towards the end of my first year of brewing. They were extract brews though so the attenuation was on the lower side. Maybe I should give it another try will all-grain!

FYI, I got my yeast from a single 22oz bottle of DGA.

Yup, I got mine from BMW. They are a bit more $$ than regular smack packs, I believe $7 a pack. All the more reason to save some in the fridge.

rebelbrewer.com has it also. I harvested some last week just try it and I have it in a Chocolate Stout right now fermenting. Cant wait to try it.

Latest posts

Back