Bar height?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
48"?

I can ask SWMBO when I get home, she knows all that stuff. Me personally, mine is going to be a bit higher up. Im 6'6" so I dont like to have to lean down to the bar. But if you are going for the "official" bar height, maybe someone can chime here in before I can ask.

If this is for your bar, buy the comfiest, most wonderful chairs first. THEN work out the ideal height based upon those chairs.

I have a fantasy about a bar with 4 lazy boys in a row along it. :D

But if I had to guess, I'd say 42"

I don't think there is an "official" Typical is 40-48. I like the taller ones better. One thing to remember is that the height isn't the biggest concern, it's the distance between the top of the stool seat (or arms if they have them) and the bottom of the bar. If you have a lip, that can be a big difference.

I like toots idea - start with the chairs. They're the most important thing and they can get pretty expensive.

rdwj said:
I don't think there is an "official" Typical is 40-48. I like the taller ones better. One thing to remember is that the height isn't the biggest concern, it's the distance between the top of the stool seat (or arms if they have them) and the bottom of the bar. If you have a lip, that can be a big difference.

I like toots idea - start with the chairs. They're the most important thing and they can get pretty expensive.

A bar at the bottom to rest your feet on. I hate bars where my feet dangle.

Cheesefood said:
A bar at the bottom to rest your feet on. I hate bars where my feet dangle.

Ya, those are a must - even if you're standing they're nice.

There is a pretty cool bar near where I grew up that had rocking chairs around the bar - it was REALLY low, but the floor behind it was sunk down so that the servers didn't have to bend down to serve drinks.

Nothing quite like it - rocking and drinking are a nice combination.

See below for some scans from one of the Bibles of an architectural office. They are from Architectural Graphic Standards, and are used as a rule-of-thumb type reference for various things one might have to draw in plans. Keep in mind, this is the Eighth edition and was published in 1989 but hey......are glasses different sizes now?!? This doesn't exactly address the question, but I figured it would be handy reference info for some of us! (Sorry they are so big, I didn't want to cut the resolution because the small text might get unreadable.....)

page507ul4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

page508rb8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

page509jm6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Dude, i am 6'6" as well and i have my bar framed out with a bar height of 48". I can tell you that it is going to be very, very tall. anyone 5'10" or bigger will enjoy it for the elbow rest while knocking back a pint. any shorter and they will have to utilize a bar stool.

I say screw them, the world is made for people between 5'2" and 5'9", it is time to take over, even if it is from our home bars:mug:

Reverend JC said:
I say screw them, the world is made for people between 5'2" and 5'9", it is time to take over, even if it is from our home bars:mug:
I'm the tallest of my family at 5'-9"!!!!! We're not exactly sprinters, either. :D

Reverend JC said:
Dude, i am 6'6" as well and i have my bar framed out with a bar height of 48". I can tell you that it is going to be very, very tall. anyone 5'10" or bigger will enjoy it for the elbow rest while knocking back a pint. any shorter and they will have to utilize a bar stool.

I'm 5-11 and when I got all of your replies, I measured out 48 inces and it seemed comfortable. If we go anywhere between 44-48" I think it will work.

Thanks!

Toot said:
Why, that is the dumbest idea I've ever heard!

You have earned my utmost respect! :mug:

True, you would have to slope the floor or the glasses would slide off. ...unless you made special barmats / coasters that were wedge shapped.

Definetely easier to slope the floor. Thought would have to be given to the % size of people. i.e. if only one giant and rest midgets then slow slope down and a sharp drop at the end.

dibby33 said:
True, you would have to slope the floor or the glasses would slide off. ...unless you made special barmats / coasters that were wedge shapped.

Definetely easier to slope the floor. Thought would have to be given to the % size of people. i.e. if only one giant and rest midgets then slow slope down and a sharp drop at the end.

I say make it stepped, like a terrace.

I think 48" is a bit high. My stools are 30" floor to seat and the bar in Vegas was 42". That worked nicely.

SwAMi75 said:
I say make it stepped, like a terrace.

Hydraulics could be the answer. Put some jacks under a plyable floor material, could automate height depending on the weight of the person.

Floor blocks that move up and down?

Platform shoes for shorties would be easier.

Reason for the slope is that a terrace would be something extra to trip over. Bars should be simple places, no thought should be required whilst standing there or moving from there to the gents / ladies and back.

What about a bar suspended from the ceiling. Instead of standing on the floor, you strap yourself into a harness, suspended from the ceiling by bungee cords. It would make it impossible to trip and fall. And, if you're too short, you just shorten the bungee cords to lift you up a little higher....

Maybe have a rotating arm that allows you to move around in a circle so you can head to the loo of go grab a bag of chips or whatever...

:ban:

Toot said:
What about a bar suspended from the ceiling. Instead of standing on the floor, you strap yourself into a harness, suspended from the ceiling by bungee cords. It would make it impossible to trip and fall. And, if you're too short, you just shorten the bungee cords to lift you up a little higher....

Maybe have a rotating arm that allows you to move around in a circle so you can head to the loo of go grab a bag of chips or whatever...

:off:

At a bar on Caye Caulker, Belize, there were no chairs and/or bar stools. Swings were hanging from the rooftop of this open air bar. If you want to sit, you swing. I spent my 40th birthday there. This was on the 2 or 3 floor. Your other choice was to go up one more flight and sit in a chaise lounge on the roof. It was a pretty flat roof. The "tables" were those big wooden spools. You could see the lights of the mainland from there. (It was the only building higher than 2 stories on the whole island).

I have great memories of that trip------

Ok, carry on. Dude, we can now talk about your bar.

Lorena

Toot said:

Thats better. Now we have a logical though process going in this thread at last.

Getting to the toilet would be tricky, i suggest two options :
1) The rotating arm lifts you above all the other patrons and spins you in a circle over the top of the bar during which movement a pee can occur (numbers twos are not allowed!) and it should miss everybody with the centralfugal forces pushing it out.

2) just pee on the floor as nobody is standing on it. Keep Bud on tap to wash the floor down at the end of the night.

My bar height is 42" and my bar stool height is 30", giving you a foot of clearance inbetween. Plenty.

Don't do 48", pleeeeeeeease!!! I think you'll regret that.:(

Go around your house with a tape measure. I think you'll be supprised at the actual height of certain things, like your bathroom vanities and kitchen counter tops.

:)

I cast my vote for making the height comfortable for yourself and make all guests adjust/compensate to your standards. You could also just make new friends that are all tall or short depending on your own height.

Since we're stating our stature I happen to be 6' 2" and couldn't imagine being any taller as I bang my head as it is. I also don't fit in many foreign cars and have to correct people who incorrectly assume I'm good at sports.

Why not go for a suspended bar. Hang it from ropes run through pulleys to counterweights. Grown folks can drink at one height, but if a Leprechaun happens to join the party, you just press down on the bar to lower it. Also works great if you happen to pass out while drinking. Just grab the bar and it will let you down gently to the floor. Mine is 48". It works out good with the stools I have and is also good for leaning on. We often drink standing up here. As long as we can, anyway.

sudsmonkey said:
We often drink standing up here. As long as we can, anyway.
I agree. one of my mates refuses to sit down in pubs. He can be easily quoted as saying, "Sitting down is for woman and poofs". He is still in Edinburgh and there are a lot of both around ;)

Besides standing up means the beer has an easier route through your system and you don't get quite so clogged up as you do when you are sitting down.

If I were a normal-sized person (verticaly of course) and I were shopping for a house, a tall-person bar would be a liability on the value of the house. Abnormal bar = house value loss. Ask SWMBO. I bet she'll agree. :D;)

<trying to score one for the bulk of the height curve>

There is nothing better than a well designed bar though. If I was building one I would take the following into consideration. This is taken from years of bar frequenting and judging (my mate and I were going to write a guide on Edinburgh pubs but...)

1) Height of bar is the starting point. When standing up must provide a comfortable lean.

2) Bar top. A gap smaller than your smallest coin (so it don't drop through) about 3" from the edge of the bar so spillages fall through and you can place your elbows on a dry section of the bar.

3) A brass rail for you to put one foot upon whilst standing. Top of rail should be about about 6" from the floor whilst also being low enough for you to trap your foot under to aid balance (this has helped me stay the extra three pints on many an occasion).

4) Snacks. Salty. Must have a huge range (crisps, nuts, scratchings...)

5) Visability of bar internals. It is good to see what is happening - mirrors also make the place look bigger. Angle the mirrors so that the patrons are not looking at themselves - they know how ugly they are and it is best not to see what you look like when pished.

6) Small hooks under the bar to hang jacket.

7) Lots of nonsense behind the bar to induce conversations.

8) No good looking bar staff. SHMBO will be happier with this and will not worry about you.

9) Stools that are high enough that you can go from a sitting position to standing in one easy move without falling over. Stools must have foot rests on all sides and a back rest. Comfy firm backing.

10) Todays paper, dictionary, thesaurus, pens.

11) One way windows to the outside world.

12) Cellarman that knows what he is doing and drinks what he serves.

Fiery Sword said:
So when can we come over, dibby?

When ever you want! give me time to :
1) Finish my extension (2 months)
2) Build my shed (2 months)
3) Install brewery (1 month)
4) Deal with SHMBO who is 5 months pregnant with sister / brother for my current wee one.
5) Brew some nice beers

dibby33 said:
When ever you want! give me time to :
1) Finish my extension (2 months)
2) Build my shed (2 months)
3) Install brewery (1 month)
4) Deal with SHMBO who is 5 months pregnant with sister / brother for my current wee one.
5) Brew some nice beers

So.....Monday it is!

Fiery Sword said:
If I were a normal-sized person (verticaly of course) and I were shopping for a house, a tall-person bar would be a liability on the value of the house. Abnormal bar = house value loss. Ask SWMBO. I bet she'll agree. :D;)

<trying to score one for the bulk of the height curve>

There you go throwing reason into a bar discussion.

Back