Yeast suspended in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMc0724

Reaction score
10th brew is a Boddingtons Pub Ale clone, partial mash. Used British Ale 005 from White Labs. 14 days in primary, 21 days in bottle, no clarifiers. The yeast is clearly suspended at pour, and that is after leaving the cake in bottom of bottle. Beer has a strong bittery yeast flavor. When I filter through a coffee filter, in clears up and the flavor is much better.

Any idea what happened?

did you cold crash the beer to drop the yeast out? 4-5 days at 35 degrees will leave a concrete like yeast cake on the bottom. hop bitterness sticks to yeast cells so if you filter the beer the yeast will seem less bitter. you can still chill the bottles down and the yeast will drop.

Bottled by siphon transfer from carboy to plastic bucket. Left the trub in the carboy. Then from bottom of bucket to bottom of bottles with a tube and foot valves bottle filler.

I'm drinking them after about 24 hours in frig. I will let them sit longer. Cool.

Thanks.

Bottled by siphon transfer from carboy to plastic bucket. Left the trub in the carboy. Then from bottom of bucket to bottom of bottles with a tube and foot valves bottle filler.

I'm drinking them after about 24 hours in frig. I will let them sit longer. Cool.

Thanks.

i assume you bottled then let the beer condition for 3-4 weeks? that makes a huge difference, letting them sit for a few weeks.

Yes, bottle conditioned for 21 days (as I said. Lol).

oops, didn't read carefully. 21 days in the bottle and your beer still has yeast in suspension is kind of unusual, WLP005 is very flocculent i think something else is going on here.

Had holy moses white ale and the yeast wasnt stuck to the bottom like most unfiltered beers are. Instead it was free floating and is hard not to pour into the glass.

Maybe thats what yours is doing too?

Mojzis, yes that's what is happening. Setting in the frig for 3 days helps. Just hard to wait with those bottles just sitting there in the frig. :)

Latest posts

Back