Kitchen Aid Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McTarnamins

Reaction score
Anyone ever used the Kitchen Aid grain mill attachment? We have a Kitchen Aid mixer that has never been used. I thought I could at least use it to make some liquid bread.

Does it grind too fine? I know there is an adjustment but was not sure if it could just crack the grain too.

Thanks,

Most of us have written that one off as too expensive and just bought (or made) a roller mill instead. If you've already got the attachment...give it a whirl, and let us know how it turns out!

This has been discussed before. For what you will pay for the Kitchen Aid grinder you can purchase a decent malt mill.
If you already have one, give it a try. It won't be ideal but it would work if you are steeping grains.

EDIT: Ha ha! Yuri_Rage beat me to the punch.:mug:

A friend of mine has used a similar one for a few years to crack / crush / grind all his grain with. He made good beer with it but he has since repented and bought a proper grain mill.

I'm curious about this too. I bought my mom a Kitchen Aid a few years back, but she's not doing much baking anymore and I can probably get the machine from her. The Kitchen Aid website says this about the milling attachment:

This all-metal attachment grinds wheat, oats, corn, rice, and other low-moisture, low-oil grains. Choose from 'cracked' to extra-fine consistency.

I'm going to see if I can find a store that carries the attachment and take a look at it. After looking at the picture on the website, I fear it may be more like a Corona mill.

Given that I already have the basic machine, adding the $150 milling attachment may give me a motorized mill that will do a lot of other (non-brewing) jobs as well.

You can get a really nice grain mill for $150, though. If it's really a Corona-type design, I personally wouldn't spend that kind of money. No reason that a regular grain mill (Crankenstein or whatever), if it's adjustable, couldn't be used to mill other grains for breadmaking or whatever.

McTarnamins said:
Anyone ever used the Kitchen Aid grain mill attachment? We have a Kitchen Aid mixer that has never been used. I thought I could at least use it to make some liquid bread.

:off: Wow--that just strikes me as odd. After a good chef's knife, a Kitchen Aid is one of the most broadly useful tools you can have in your kitchen. Does no one cook in your household?

I made a skordalia sauce (greek garlic sauce with a stale bread base) a couple weeks ago that I beat for about an hour. I sure as hell wouldn't have done that with a whisk (or a hand mixer). Add fried Calimari and beer and go directly to heaven.

cweston said:
:off: Wow--that just strikes me as odd. After a good chef's knife, a Kitchen Aid is one of the most broadly useful tools you can have in your kitchen. Does no one cook in your household?

I made a skordalia sauce (greek garlic sauce with a stale bread base) a couple weeks ago that I beat for about an hour. I sure as hell wouldn't have done that with a whisk (or a hand mixer). Add fried Calimari and beer and go directly to heaven.

:off: I'll add to this a Cuisinart food processor..first thing I bought was a Santoku and a pairing knfe, then Cuisinart and finally the mixer. All have changed my cooking life!

Dan

raceskier said:
This all-metal attachment grinds wheat, oats, corn, rice, and other low-moisture, low-oil grains. Choose from 'cracked' to extra-fine consistency.

I'm going to see if I can find a store that carries the attachment and take a look at it. After looking at the picture on the website, I fear it may be more like a Corona mill.

Given that I already have the basic machine, adding the $150 milling attachment may give me a motorized mill that will do a lot of other (non-brewing) jobs as well.

I looked at these attachments, too, but decided to get a basic Corona-style mill for much cheaper. One thing to really pay attention to -- the hopper and auger on those Kitchenaid mills are REALLY small. And given the way it attaches to the mixer, I don't think you want to be DIY'ing the hopper to increase the size much -- the extra weight might be hard on it. But other than that, I am willing to bet it crushes at least as well as my cheap mill.

Honestly, though -- after crushing many pounds of grain with a small mill, I would spend that $150 and get a barley crusher for essentially the same price.

Latest posts

Back