Shipping kegs to Costa Rica - anyone interested?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rackerman

Reaction score
Hello all, in mid-October I am going to ship a couple of pallets of kegs and misc. equipment from Boston to NY to Limon, CR to San Jose, CR (Boston to San Jose, CR). I have one other person interested in sending some corny kegs. Anyone else interested in getting in on the action?

-Ryan

Perra Hermosa Coastal Brewery
Malpais, Costa Rica

That's right: I already have a shipment going from Boston to CR. Is anyone else interested in piggybacking their shipments of stuff to CR? I'm looking to defray the cost of shipping. Sorry I was not more clear.
-Ryan

Hey Rackerman, How is homebrewing in Costa Rica? Can you buy anything local? We had another member setting up a brewery in CR, I was searching for him to see how it went and found you.

It's complicated... grain, hops, yeast all come from abroad. However, starfruit, oranges, coconuts, crazy spices, herbs and fruits I've never heard of come from here. If you like chucking interesting things into the brew kettle, this is the place.

Grain is a huge PITA to import and the shipping is expensive. At this point I have to order through others. In 2009, the only operating microbrewery folded, and with it went our source of grain. Fortunately for us we were able to purchase remainders of their grain and in an even more fortuitous turn of events, the brewer of the long awaited Volcano Brewery in Tilaran has been found and we've just added-on to their grain order. They should open their 3HL brew-pub in a couple months.

Hops and yeast are easy enough to bring down on the plane.

I'm happy to supply any homebrewers/brewers in Costa Rica with grain as I can spare it. I'm primarily using a mix of manufacturers, mainly US 2-row, Carmel 20L, Carmel 40L, Carmel 120L.

I also may or may not have a custom built pump-driven 15-gal pilot system for sale from the recently closed K&S Brewery in Cartago (trying to up our system to 40 gal). Anyway, anyone in CR interested in brewing in general I'd love to talk to. We are in Malpais.

Can I ship my family and myself down there? We're hard working and love to surf in Costa Rica and can help in brewing :) Come on :)

Oh, there's surfing here? I'll have to check it out...

Yeah, just stuff you and the fam in a container and you'll be here in 4 days. You should clear customs in about a month!

Seriously, this is a great place to visit if you are so inclined (and if you like big swell). Let me know and I'm more than happy to guide you in the right direction.

My parents go down there and alot of my friends head down there all the time too for the surf. I plan in my future after the military and the kids are out of the house to move down there. Its the 'end plan' to my goals... so you need to get home brewing supply established so when I come down in 15+ years that I can get my fix in brewing and have something to fall back on...

I would have to change the name of the Brewery to No Waves Brewery to I'm To Tired Of All These Damn Waves Brewery :)

I was thinking of getting grain from my friend the bakery, seriously. We should discuss Costa Rica home brewing. Yes, help me get hops, please.

For instance, do you stick to to warm weather fermentation recipes or do you have a controlled cellar?

Just to finish off the post. Nearly 2 years ago I purchased 25 used and in generally ****ty shape kegs in Boston and shipped them down along with a couple other pallets of used hard to find items.
It may be possible to buy corny kegs off of the Costa Rica Craft Beer Company in Cartago, however they may have sold them by now. Otherwise, shipping through puerto Limon is the way to go.

Also, for those wanting ingredients check out La Bodega de Chema in San Jose for homebrewing ingredients and beer sharing. www.bodegadechema.com
There is also going to be a store opening in santa ana near the Freshmarket. It's called Ticobirra and they have already started educational seminars and guest speakers from yeast and malt providers.
In April 2012 there will be the first Craft Beer Festival and Homebrewing Comp. hosted by Product C and Avenida Escazu. PM for more info and/or I'll post up a link to info.

Hey Rackerman...I know its kind late ( your post) , but I need your assistance here...I need to buy kegs and hoses..is there any place here in Costa Rica to get these??
How do you serve your craft beer ?
Thanks in advance

537741_308290019271473_874089870_n.jpg

Hey all!! Ten years later lol. I’m moving to Costa Rica in a few months and a homebrewer as well. What’s the word on getting ingredients down here?? How’s the brewing going? Still difficult to get stuff??

Latest posts

Back