Bottle Sanitizing with Starsan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankeehillbrewer

Reaction score
So I'm sick of using Bleach to clean my bottles, even though it's pretty straight forward, it's time consuming.

I think I read on here that someone just uses a Spray Bottle to squirt a little Starsan in each bottle and then hangs it on a bottle tree, then bottles. Since I rinse each bottle with the hottest tap water I can get( about 130*) after drinking the beer, I figure a couple shots of starsan in the bottle at bottling time will take care of any potential problems.

I'm trying to avoid soaking bottles in a solution of anything if possible. I searched this site for quite a while, but couldn't find anything that covered it quite this way. I'm pretty confident that this method will work just fine, but thought I would get some feedback anyway.

Call me paranoid, but when I bottle I soak them in a 5 gallon bucket of star san I keep at all times. I pull out 6 and fill and cap, get 6 more, etc. Overkill? Probably... :eek:

Yep, Vinator + StarSan + bottle tree is the way to go. Just make sure to spray down the bottle tree in sanitizer first. I make my priming sugar solution first, then sanitize my bottles while the priming sugar solution cools off a bit. As soon as I am finished sanitizing, I can begin bottling. No need to let the bottles dry.

There is nothing wrong with soaking the bottles in sanitizer, if you already have a bucket to do it in, but that method does take a lot longer.

I mix up about 3 gallons of StarSan in a bucket, submerge 12 bottles or so and allow to soak for 3 or 4 minutes. Those are hung on a bottle tree and 12 more go into the bucket.
I think that would be quicker than spraying the inside with a spray bottle trying to make sure to wet the entire surface. I feel just better about a complete soak.

The Vinator sprays the whole inside surface of a 32 oz bottle in one squirt. Most people do it 2 or 3 times just to be sure, but the whole process takes maybe 5 seconds per bottle. It's not like a typical hand spray bottle. It shoots out a thick stream.

I also dunk the whole mouth and neck of the bottle in the Vinator reservoir before I hang it.

I also dunk the whole mouth and neck of the bottle in the Vinator reservoir before I hang it.

Same here, although I cheat a bit.

I may be skirting death with 30-second starsan wet contact instead of 120-seconds*, but my bottles are always very clean. My actual step by step looks like this:

1. dip bottle upside down in vinator reservoir as described by Alpo
2. pump on vinator as normal
3. let it sit on the vinator nozzle and drain while I fill the current bottle
4. repeat

So I always have a bottle in my hand filling, and one draining on the vinator spout. Moves pretty fast, and I still think I'm killing the majority of the buggies.

*although I think the BBR podcast with teh starsan guy said the killing happens in 30secs but the FDA test is 2mins so that is what they put on the package

The 2 minutes are still in effect. It is wet time, not submersed time. When the spray occurs the bottle won't be completely dry for a while so that time counts as wet contact as well.
All is well, infections are dying.

I use swingtops too, so I actually dunk the mouth/neck/cap assembly into the reservoir a second time as I pull it off the tree and immediately before I fill the bottle.

Something about all those moving parts and surfaces worries me.

For what it's worth, I've never had an infection (doing my 7th batch tomorrow), but I am pretty anal about the sanitation.

Back