specific gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerme70

Reaction score
I know that the general rule of thumb in extract brewing is 35 points/lb/gal for LME and 45 points/lb/gal for DME. For AG brewing, I've read that not all grains are created equal, and that some grains will have a higher yield than others. Is there any info somewhere on which grains have what average yield, or is there pretty much just an average?

One of the many reasons to use brewing software, which will have all that info in its database and take care of the calculations for you so you never have to worry about such figures.

I agree on the brewing software (wink).

However, if you want to do it by hand, multiply the number of points for each grain addition (eg: 1.036 = 36 points) by the number of pounds of that grain, add them all together, then divide by the total volume in gallons. This will give you the number of points in the overall batch - then just convert back (i.e. 46 points = 1.046) to get the estimated OG.

Cheers,
Brad

Back