Critique recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessej122

Reaction score
2.5 lbs LDE
7lbs pale liquid extract
1.5 lbs caramel 60
1oz Columbus 1 oz warrior 60 min
2 oz citra 30 min
2 oz citra flameout

jessej122 said:
2.5 lbs LDE
7lbs pale liquid extract
1.5 lbs caramel 60
1oz Columbus 1 oz warrior 60 min
2 oz citra 30 min
2 oz citra flameout

Just wanna make sure the malt amount sounds about right

If that's an American pale ale, it is too much crystal 60L malt. I'd cut that to no more than a pound. If it's supposed to be an IPA, I'd half the 60L.

I don't know what LDE is, but I assume it's a dry extract? That would be fine.

I'd change the hopping. The recipe as written will be very bitter (like bitter enough to remove the enamel off your teeth), but with little hops flavor or aroma. I'd change that up like this:

1oz Columbus 60 minutes
1 oz citra 15 minutes
1 oz citra 5 minutes
1 oz citra flame out
dryhop 2 ounces citra for 5-7 days.

If that's an American pale ale, it is too much crystal 60L malt. I'd cut that to no more than a pound. If it's supposed to be an IPA, I'd half the 60L.

I don't know what LDE is, but I assume it's a dry extract? That would be fine.

I'd change the hopping. The recipe as written will be very bitter (like bitter enough to remove the enamel off your teeth), but with little hops flavor or aroma. I'd change that up like this:

1oz Columbus 60 minutes
1 oz citra 15 minutes
1 oz citra 5 minutes
1 oz citra flame out
dryhop 2 ounces citra for 5-7 days.

+1 good advice.

Assuming LDE = DME you have a 1.075+ beer there. An IPA. You want little crystal (I'd suggest only using 0.5 lbs), and you want it to dry out (I'd suggest replacing a pound of the DME with 1 lb of table sugar)

Save some citra from your 30 minute addition for a dry hop. What IBU are you calculating? It seems like it will be really high. Not a bad thing, but I'd go for more aroma hops.

Actually, I would pretty much do what yooper said

An American Pale Ale 5 gallon batch,I appreciate the advice keep it coming if need be. Cheers

I don't have it in front of me but I believe the IBU came out to 68. Think it's too much?

Latest posts

Back