Rickard's Oakhouse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like I'm the only one who enjoys this beer, so I'll share with myself here the recipe I made to clone it. Now that it's aged some, I'd adjust it for a bit more sweetness, add some crystal 20 in there, even replace the c80 with 1lbs of c20 maybe...

Mash at 152, note that I got awesome efficiency on this (87%) so the volumes are a bit weird, I was shooting for a 4g batch. Racked into secondary on oak chips for 11 days.

Recipe: Oakheart
Brewer: Mike
Style: Wood Aged Beer
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 5.37 gal
Post Boil Volume: 4.83 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 4.25 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 12.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 21.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 87.00 %
Boil Time: 40 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 78.7 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 2 3.9 %
1.6 oz Chocolate Malt (150.0 SRM) Grain 3 1.6 %
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 40.0 min Hop 5 16.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 4.8 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
2.00 oz Oak Chips (Secondary 7.0 days) Flavor 9 -
1 lbs Brown Sugar, Dark (50.0 SRM) Sugar 4 15.7 %
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [125.00 Yeast 8 -

I will have to head down to the liquor store and try this out. I live in kelowna as well. Where do you buy your ingredients from? I have been buying from hopdawgs, I pay shipping because I'm too lazy to drive down. I have been thinking about taking a drive to gambrinus in Armstrong but I'm not sure the minimum amount of grain they will sell. It would be nice to find some local homebrewers who might be willing to go in on some bulk grains. I think it's around $25 for a 55lb sack of 2 row

Did a review on this for my brew club's website not too long ago:

"Rickard’s Oakhouse Winter Lager is a clean, pleasantly oak-infused lager that will impress most fans of wood-aged beers and convince lager brewers that their cold-fermented cousins to traditional ales may be worthy of experimentation with wood aging. Perhaps the easiest way to describe this beer is that it is extremely similar to the vanilla/oak offerings of Innis & Gunn.

The beer’s aroma is heavily of oak, with little malt and no hops on the nose. It pours brilliantly clear with the expected amount of carbonation for a light lager. Its colour is deep golden, approaching amber, and the beer has a persistent creamy head and nice legs in the glass.

This lager has perhaps slightly less oak flavour than the aroma would suggest, which is probably a good thing. The oak contributes a few tannins to the beer’s character, and though not unduly harsh, they do result in a slight hint of astringency in the beer’s finish. The mouthfeel is excellent; smooth and creamy with a clean finish brining out subtle vanilla notes that linger on the palate.

There is a pleasant maltiness to the beer, but it is nevertheless well-attenuated and does not give the impression of being sweet. There is no hop flavour but good supporting bitterness, resulting in a very well-balanced beer.

Overall this is quite an enjoyable lager, clearly defined by the presence of oak as the name promises. Best enjoyed cool as one would expect of a lager, this beer should not be your “winter warmer” of choice but is worth exploring if you are a fan of the lighter styles of wood-aged beer. I grade this beer an 8 out of 10."

I will have to head down to the liquor store and try this out. I live in kelowna as well. Where do you buy your ingredients from? I have been buying from hopdawgs, I pay shipping because I'm too lazy to drive down. I have been thinking about taking a drive to gambrinus in Armstrong but I'm not sure the minimum amount of grain they will sell. It would be nice to find some local homebrewers who might be willing to go in on some bulk grains. I think it's around $25 for a 55lb sack of 2 row

Hey - a fellow Kelownite! I think that makes three that I know of here now hehe

I get most of my grains and hops from Hopdawgs as well, though I usually make a day of it and drive up, depending on Chris' schedule though. But I have been getting some ingredients from Ontariobeerkegs lately as well, since they're stocking most things now, whenever I need extra kegging supplies.

Gambrinus will sell as little as a single bag to a homebrewer, I believe. The lowest I've bought at a time is two bags though because it's so cheap. The non-organic 2row is $24 and change, things like Munich get a bit pricier though...like $30 for a 55lb bag, gasp! ;) It's well worth it to make a run up there, especially if you can time it with a Hopdawgs run for specialty grains! Just remember, Gambrinus needs you to order at least a full day in advance over the phone.

osagedr: glad you had a similar experience with this beer, you put it into much better words than I did!

Back