Adding tea in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThorGodOfThunder

Reaction score
I have a large batch of mead fermenting away in my basement. I want to make several kinds of mead out of it, so everything must be added in the secondary after I split it up. I know fruit does very well after primary, but what about tea? I know cold-brewed tea is pretty great, and I'd effectively be cold-brewing tea in my mead. I intend to just throw the bags into the jug and let them steep until the color looks right. Has anyone added tea to their secondary?

Depends on whether you mean proper black tea or one of those fruit infusion type things.

Brewed black tea can have some effect on flavour, though its generally suggested as a way of adding a reasonable source of tannins......

I want to use either black or green tea, I haven't decided yet. No fruit teas, I want to taste the actual tea flavor. I'm leaning more toward green tea because green tea and honey are about the two greatest things in the world.

I usually use black for a source of tannins, usually I put it in primary with the must since the yeast like to munch on it too for nutrients it seems. I think some people do use green. Sometimes I add a little bit of green with the black.

go for it. room temp tea only takes like 8-10 hours to steep. I dont think there is any negative effect for doing it longer as tea can only contribute so much. imo cold brewing tea in the secondary would give you the best tea. hot brewed tea should be consumed hot.

I did one batch with black tea in the secondary, Put the leaves in hot water for an hour then dump both water and leaves into secondary. It was not a noticeable tea taste but so far it added a little depth to the overall flavor.

Back