buying equipment in pieces

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaTiger

Reaction score
Let's pretend. Suppose you are wanting to get into wine making but you dont have the funds to buy a kit with everything that you need all at once. Now, let's also suppose that you CAN buy stuff one week at a time. Lets also say that you wanted to start today and actually START a wine batch today. What you buy today to be able to start? Bare minimum to get started right now.

Im thinking just a carboy, SG tester, sanitizer, ingredients for the wine (yeast, juice, etc).

What else would you buy TODAY to simply get started? Can buy the other stuff as I need it.

GeorgiaTiger said:
Let's pretend. Suppose you are wanting to get into wine making but you dont have the funds to buy a kit with everything that you need all at once. Now, let's also suppose that you CAN buy stuff one week at a time. Lets also say that you wanted to start today and actually START a wine batch today. What you buy today to be able to start? Bare minimum to get started right now.

Im thinking just a carboy, SG tester, sanitizer, ingredients for the wine (yeast, juice, etc).

What else would you buy TODAY to simply get started? Can buy the other stuff as I need it.

To start a batch right away, you'll need a fermentation bucket, large spoon, air lock, juice, yeast, hydrometer.

After a week to so, you'll need to transfer to a carboy. So you'll need a transfer hose, drilled rubber stopper.

When you are ready to bottle, get a bottling wand. Corks, bottles, and a corker.

So it is better to use the bucket than the carboy to ferment? Also, to make say 5 gallons of wine, and if I wanted to use Welch's grape concentrate for juice...how much juice would I need to start?

GeorgiaTiger said:
So it is better to use the bucket than the carboy to ferment? Also, to make say 5 gallons of wine, and if I wanted to use Welch's grape concentrate for juice...how much juice would I need to start?

To get 5 gallons of finished wine, start a 6 gallon batch.

Fermenting in a bucket allows more room for foaming. Fermenting 5 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy won't work.

GeorgiaTiger said:

Wide mouth food grade bucket is perfect for primary fermenter because this gives you easy access for stirring it, working with fruit, etc. Definitely a first purchase..buy a six gallon bucket with a drilled lid for a five gallon batch since you always need at least a one gallon head space when working with all juice, more headspace if working with actual fruit. Other first purchase items: one airlock (just in case you need to put wine under airlock in the bucket before you have your carboy at hand..typically 5-8 days after pitching yeast, or when SG has reached a certain point), triple scale hydrometer and a test jar, Campden tabs or potassium metabisulphite for sanitizing, Brewer's Wash Powder for cleaning (avoid chlorine products) or like product, YEAST-buy two of whichever you are using, yeast nutrient, pectic enzyme, super long handled plastic or stainless steel spoon, ph test strips until you decide to buy a pH meter, acid blend or malic acid + citric acid + tartaric acid, tannin powder. And perhaps a copy of The Joy of Home Winemaking by Terry Garey that you can read during week 1. Oh, sugar.

Second week: carboy and drilled bung, an airlock if you did not buy one earlier, racking cane and tubing. Drilled bungs/airlocks to fit any wine bottles you will be using for excess fermenting wine that will be used for topping up. Further down the road you will need: bottles, corks, potassium sorbate if you plan on backsweetening the finished wine(used with the campden/k-meta you bought in week 1), corking device (I have a floor corker). Acid test kit if you want to balance the acidity-- starting with an all conentrate wine as you are you really can hold off on the acid test kit until later.

Making a wine from frozen Welch's 100% fruit juice, I would use three cans reconsituted into one gallon. So you will need 15 cans for five gallons. But actually use 16 cans and reconstitute that last can to the volume of 500 ml; that way you can stash any excess fermenting wine upon transfer to carboy in a recycled wine bottle and use the excess for topping up since you will lose some wine upon racking. Here is a link to a recipe which uses two cans per gallon.. http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques65.asp --- also the Jack Keller website is a great resource for a beginning winemaker.

Enjoy...Sara

So I will need 6 gallons of juice to get it going...Im going to use Welch's grape juice concentrate. Ill need 6 gallons of that or a mixture of the juice/water?

just trying to figure ut what to buy where juice is concerned

How much money will that 6 gallons of Welches juice cost? It doesn't make a very good wine, why not get real grape juice or a wine kit? You will at least be able to enjoy the year of your life you used to make it.

GeorgiaTiger said:
So I will need 6 gallons of juice to get it going...Im going to use Welch's grape juice concentrate. Ill need 6 gallons of that or a mixture of the juice/water?

just trying to figure ut what to buy where juice is concerned

You do not need six gallons of juice for a five gallon batch, 5.5 at the most in a six gallon bucket. Depending on if you plan to use two(11 total) vs three cans(16 total) per gallon mixed up to yield five gallons, and then one extra can mixed up to 500ml/1L/2L volume--your choice. Three cans per gallon will give the wine more body. You can use shelf stable ready to drink 100% grape juice or any variety of 100% juice or even a mix of concentrate and shelf stable juice.

Read the ingredient labels to ensure it is what you want because some are not 100% of one fruit.

People love white grape peach made with the concentrate or juice off shelf, or even a combo of juice and concentrate. Same recipe from Keller link but you just use juice of choice other than concord. There are many winemakers who make the classic concord recipe each year, and many like it...especially if they cannot access concord grapes.

I have found the best thing to use for cheap and very drinkable concord or niagara wine is the Welch's 100% frozen juice concentrate. I have a lot of wine snob friends and they all have liked it everytime we make it. I do 6 gallon batches and use 12 cans. It cost me $24 for the juice.

week 1: bucket (or 1 gallon of springwater in a plastic DJ if 1 gal batches are allowed), ingredients, airlock if needed for bucket, sanitizer, optional: hydrometer.
week 2: hydrometer (if not already bought), thief/baster, test tube
week 3: carboy, siphon tube, airlock (if you don't already have one)
week 4: chemicals and finings as needed
week 5: corker/capper, bottling wand, hopefully you've collected bottles in this time.

Think that's everything :)

Back