I don't have a clue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorowdy

Reaction score
So I acquired a bunch of hops from an old timer. He tosld me it is the same hops Budweiser uses. Can anyone clue ne in to what they might be?

Hallertau maybe?

If you believe the marketing Bud uses 10 varieties of hops.

I'm guessing they use one of the noble hops and I'd guess Hallertau as well, but Saaz may be mixed in. I very much doubt they use 10 varieties. It would be hard to source that number for production as large as they need for Bud.

Also, I think that the American version of Hallertau doesn't that the same as the stuff grown in Europe.

Time for a Google search!

I'm pretty sure they've changed their hop varieties numerous times over the years. Pre-prohibition, cluster was about all there was in the US. Depending how old your old-timer is, this may be what he means. Now, they mostly use hop extract. I think they use ten (or however many) different hops so that they can change the formula based on economics/crop success or failure/varying alpha acid %/etc... without greatly altering the end result. As far as sourcing the production; InBev owns a lot of that from the bottom up, including the world's largest hop farm.

Back