all out of PBW...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h4mmy86

Reaction score
So, I racked my Honey Brown into secondary only to find out I have nothing to clean my primary with!

I have plastic Better Bottles so scrubbing is not an option. All I can figure is to just fill it with water until I can get some more...?

Any advice?

I don't know how you feel about Oxiclean, but you could get that locally rather than wait for your next brewing supply order. I use the generic Sun Oxy Cleaner from Family Dollar Store.

I don't know how you feel about Oxiclean, but you could get that locally rather than wait for your next brewing supply order. I use the generic Sun Oxy Cleaner from Family Dollar Store.

I have always used this, works quite well

Another vote for Oxiclean here. A few hours soak in hot water and Oxiclean does a surprisingly good job at eliminating krausen and other gunk.

I had just read in another thread about people having problems with oxyclean leaving behind residue they couldn't get off so I'm a little weary about using that stuff..

If you only leave the oxyclean in there for a few hours and rinse very well, several times with hot water afterwards you should not have a residue issue. Also, you don't need to use much for it to work well... Maybe a half scoop for your Better Bottle completely filled. I have never used PBW, just oxyclean since I already have that around and have never had that problem.

You have to rinse. PBW is a no rinse cleaner formulated specifically for brewing, which means the residue does not contribute flavors or harm the yeast. Not so for Oxyclean. Personally I use warm water and my hand. Reserve PBW for stubborn krausen clods.

OxiClean works fine - use the OxiClean Free variety. Follow the instructions on the Better Bottle web site for how to use caustic cleaners like PBW and OxiClean (0.5% by weight which is about 1 scoop per 5 or 6 gallons and don't dump the powder into an empty carboy -fill up at least halfway with water first). I soak my Better Bottles for a few hours with OxiClean, then rinse thoroughly, then rinse with some white vinegar and water to make sure the OxiClean doesn't leave any white film, rinse again with water, then a final rinse with a pint or so of distilled water so it will dry without any spots.

You have to rinse. PBW is a no rinse cleaner formulated specifically for brewing, which means the residue does not contribute flavors or harm the yeast. Not so for Oxyclean. Personally I use warm water and my hand. Reserve PBW for stubborn krausen clods.

The directions on the PBW jar call for rinsing after use.

I've left oxyclean in my betterbottles for days at a time and never had any residue issues. Just rinse after and youll be all good.

Got some oxiclean free in a 3 lb tub!
...So one full scoop for my 6 gallon carboy? I looked at the scoop, its blue and divided into quarters. A full scoop seems like a lot (but what do I know)

....half of a scoop doesn't seem to be all that effective so far, but it has done a little good. I'm thinking of dumping this and refilling, then adding a full scoop.

Any input on your own dilution ratio is greatly appreciated!

Alright guys, its been soaking over night and when I got up and looked at it today I was sorta disappointed. I grabbed it by the neck and started turning it around to check the other side, and in turning it around alot of the stuck on sediment broke loose! The stuff is actually working alright. There are still a couple of spots, but it has knock out 95% of the mess.

...I like PBW better. Does this seem about average?? 6 gallons, half a scoop, takes 24 hours if not a little longer to clean?

I'm also worried about where it evaporated down a little bit, I don't see any residue and I'm trying to keep it topped off as to not give residue a chance to take hold!

I use a full scoop in my 6.5 gallon carboy. I let it soak overnight or even days/weeks at a time without any issues. I use a brush for the SUPER stubborn spots. But, for the price and availability, can't complain much!

I use oxyclean free from walmart for like 8 bucks per 3 pounds. I let stuff soak for weeks at a time because the filled carboys are safely stored out of the way and I'm too lazy to bother emptying them just to continue to store them empty. When I need them, I dump the old oxyclean solution down the drain, rinse with fresh water, and then use the standard starsan solution to get that soapy feeling off the plastic or glass. Starsan as an acid will rip through that slippery, soapy feeling. It will also sanitize. The carboy or bucket is now ready for use!

I use oxyclean free from walmart for like 8 bucks per 3 pounds. I let stuff soak for weeks at a time because the filled carboys are safely stored out of the way and I'm too lazy to bother emptying them just to continue to store them empty. When I need them, I dump the old oxyclean solution down the drain, rinse with fresh water, and then use the standard starsan solution to get that soapy feeling off the plastic or glass. Starsan as an acid will rip through that slippery, soapy feeling. It will also sanitize. The carboy or bucket is now ready for use!

I follow pretty much the same procedure. In my experiences, the OxyClean doesn't work quite as well as PBW (I typically end up filling/soaking twice with OxyClean), but using a bit more to achieve the same results is still less expensive than buying PBW.

I'd probably be able to get away with only one soak if I used a bit more OxyClean the first time around. I'll give it a try next time.

I wish I had posted some pics of the carboy before and after. It really wasn't all that messy to begin with, and its almost completely clean now. I'm thinking of dumping it and refilling with a new batch of oxi solution. There is a chance the glugging of the bubbles might be enough to break the last bit of grime loose if I play my cards right...

try dumping about 1/2 the carboy out, insert a clean sock and swish it around to get the rest of the residue loose. Dump the rest and pull the sock out. That usually works for me on the tough stuff.

Some items from the Oxiclean website:

“OxiClean® Versatile Stain Remover works in any temperature water, but best in warm to hot water. Do NOT use boiling water. Please read and follow clothing, carpet, or surface manufacturer’s care instructions for appropriate water temperature.”

“The cleaning strength of OxiClean® will remain active for 6 hours after mixing. Dispose of unused solution after 6 hours by pouring into a drain or toilet.”

So according to their website, soaking for long periods of time might not really be helping.

Someone was worried about Oxiclean residue. I have only had it if I leave the Oxiclean in for a very very long time (weeks), which only happens if I forget one of my kegs was soaking. I have 17 so that happens every once in a while. Even if you get the Oxiclean residue, it can easily be removed with standard household vinegar and some shaking.

ncbrewer said:
Some items from the Oxiclean website:

“OxiClean® Versatile Stain Remover works in any temperature water, but best in warm to hot water. Do NOT use boiling water. Please read and follow clothing, carpet, or surface manufacturer’s care instructions for appropriate water temperature.”

“The cleaning strength of OxiClean® will remain active for 6 hours after mixing. Dispose of unused solution after 6 hours by pouring into a drain or toilet.”

So according to their website, soaking for long periods of time might not really be helping.

Fair enough. BUT if I leave it in a bucket or carboy all the way up to the top, there in no chance of mold/goop/crap to form In the soapy water. The cleaning potential may be gone, but ain't nothing going to grow in that stuff. So I'm happy with my choice.

there in no chance of mold/goop/crap to form In the soapy water..

I've had mold grow in an Oxiclean solution after letting it sit for 2-3 weeks. It's happened to me twice. You've just been lucky that it hasn't happened to you.. I try not to let it sit for longer than a couple days now.

Back