Krausen that looks like corn flakes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big-o-2

Reaction score
I brewed some two row with no hops, I wanted to see what it would taste like? It used the whirlfloc for the first time last 10 mins of boil. I looked good and gravity checked out, I used Windsor dry yeast. I only brewed 2.5 gals and I have it in a 5 gal carboy. It is churning good only been sitting a day, but the krausen looks like corn flakes? Is this from the whirlfloc? The beer looks pretty clear, has a few floaties flying in the beer. I am puzzled, never seen this before, looks like the wizard of Oz in there.

Thanks

hhmm? could be the yeast, and probably not the whirlfloc? that makes things coagulate in the boil, so when it's cooled, it falls out into cold break.

smell the co2 coming out of the lock and see how it smells. if it smells okay, it's probably all right? it'll be a sweet tasting brew that's for sure.

When I made my oatmeal stout it had the flaked stuff in it too. Everything seemed to settle out just fine and it tastes great.

yes the windsor is a dry yeast and it all fell out. I checked gravity today after it looked calm. SG 1.010@72F racked to secondary. Tasted the stuff and it is tasting and smelling of beer! It should be a pretty clear beer. I used a counter flow chiller. Thought maybe the whirlfloc got in the primary?

I will keep you posted.

Thanks for the help.

Back