What to do with the top part of my fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamshifflett

Reaction score
Ok so I got a cheap upright fridge (freezer on the top style) off CL. I have 4 cornys and my CO2 in the fridge portion, what do people do with the top portion? I could store some hops and such in there. Any other ideas?

If you've got some technical ability and the testicular fortitude to mess around with the fridge's internal wiring, you could possibly set it up with two controllers so that the freezer part also works at 32°F or above (still needs to be colder than the bottom part in most fridge designs I'm aware of though) for chilling bottles, or perhaps lagering.

More realistically though... for a yeast bank, and/or for freeze distillation. Or maybe for freezing lots of ice if you need ice for cooling wort (for either a prechiller, a setup that pumps ice-water through an IC or CFC, or just an icebath), maintaining ferm temps (eg a swamp cooler), or a portable keg setup. And obviously, you can just use it for extra freezer space.

Really, I don't think there's going to be much outside the obvious that you can do with a freezer. Personally, I'd use it for hops and for maintaining a yeast bank.

Please don't freeze beer mugs. Don't EVER freeze beer mugs.

emjay said:
Please don't freeze beer mugs. Don't EVER freeze beer mugs.

If the beer is served too cold, you run the risk of numbing taste buds and not tasting the beer you've crafted. Ultra cold serving temps are a trick for making low quality beer drinkable. Think of the flavor rich cask ales served at cellar temps, not freezer temps.

Use the top part for whatever needs to be kept that cold.

As others have said, hops, yeast.. but my collection of hops is not that large. I find having the extra freezer space appears to fill itself in. It's like magic!

On a side note. I agree with not serving homebrew in chilled glasses, we put much effort into making delicious beer and don't want our taste buds numbed by freezing beer and miss out on all the goodness. On the other hand a cheap light macro beer on a hot summer day after some yard work does go down well in a frosty mug. In my humble opinion.

Frozen fruit for brewing, hops, bags of ice for the pre-chiller, overflow frozen food, lots of great uses for that freezer. Pretty much anything but mugs or glasses.
I was at a brewpub last week and they served me their abbey ale in frozen mug. I finished my lunch before the beer was warm enough to taste. When I ordered the second beer I asked for it in a room temp mug. The waiter acted like I had asked him if I could have sex with his wife.

There's nothing wrong with frozen mugs. I keep three or four in the freezer for A.) when my dad drops by and B.) when I want to get my ****y on and don't want to waste my homebrew to do it. I would prefer to do it quick and tasteless...

All of the above: lots and lots of liquor, ice for drinks, "hookers" (a stated above), "meat. Lots of meat," hops, and frozen snacks for late night when your blacked-out drunk and don't remember the killing the hooker and need to BBQ.

Latest posts

Back