Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer None More Black Vanilla Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i just brewed this a few weeks ago (well maybe a month ago) and now it will be ready in a week.

only thing that worries me is that i did not taste any vanilla before bottling

it was a good stout but no vanilla so hopefully i can taste it after carbonation

When mine was at that point, it was the opposite - too much vanilla! Although I did put in more than 5x the recommended amount of vanilla extract. It turned out great and of the 4 bottles left from this 9 month old batch, 3 are competing in a homebrew competition next week. We'll see how she does.

Relax and let it age, it'll turn out great!

Just finished my keg. Was my 2nd batch and won't be my last. Hasn't disappointed anyone that's tasted it.

When mine was at that point, it was the opposite - too much vanilla! Although I did put in more than 5x the recommended amount of vanilla extract. It turned out great and of the 4 bottles left from this 9 month old batch, 3 are competing in a homebrew competition next week. We'll see how she does.

Relax and let it age, it'll turn out great!

good luck!

but yea im not really worried since it still tasted good but more than likely next time i will add more vanilla and tweak it some more

Hi, Quick question. I bought the hops for this extract recipe and the %'s are different. Should I just use less to adjust for the bitterness/ flavor/aroma?

1 oz Cluster (7.00%) at 60 minutes =>=> I bought 7.4% Cluster
1 oz East Kent Goldings (4.00) at 20 minutes I bought 5.0% East kent Goldings

mtnbkrrick said:
Hi, Quick question. I bought the hops for this extract recipe and the %'s are different. Should I just use less to adjust for the bitterness/ flavor/aroma?

1 oz Cluster (7.00%) at 60 minutes =>=> I bought 7.4% Cluster
1 oz East Kent Goldings (4.00) at 20 minutes I bought 5.0% East kent Goldings

Really don't think youll need to worry about it.

Voilà

I just had my first vanilla stout.

This beer was my second one, (made some lemonade and cider before)

This was a horrible story, everything went bad the day I made it, a lot of possible infection ( Even the tail of a cat).

I had to put K-meta in it because I was sure it was infected.

ANyway, after 1 month in primary a good strong starter and only 2 week and 3 days in bottles (I know it's too fast but It was only a test)....

This Is an incredible stout, I maybe not very experimented in making beer, but I know stout, and the beer I though would be discusting because of the horrible brew day is now very good, and that's for a green beer....I can't imagine the taste in 3-4 months.

Will brew it again for sure.

I'm completely new to recipe brewing (have done 4 kits, thus far) and have a couple of questions.

Is there a timeline for when I add which items (there may be a "norm" thats unknown to me, if so, I apologize)? Do I steep the Black Patent Malt and Roasted Barley for 35 minutes, then add the LME/DME, then at 25 minutes later (at the 60 minute mark), add the Clusters? I'm assuming that I then boil for 70 minutes, and at the 50 minute mark (20 min left) add the East Kent Goldings, and 5 minutes later add the Irish Moss?

Sorry for the most basic of questions, but I'm really wanting to try this recipe. Thanks in advance!

First, crush/crack your grains (Not sure if you already knew that, but wanted to make sure)

Warm steeping water to 150degs and add crushed grains. Leave for 35mins using whatever means you do to maintain temp at ~150degs.

Remove grain bag and get your "tea" boiling. Once it is boiling, cut the heat off to slowly stir in extracts.. Once completely dissolved, return to boil.

Total boil time should be 70 mins, so, the first hop addition (1 0z Cluster) is at 10 minutes after boil starts.

Second hop addition (1oz Kent Golding) is at 50 minutes after boil starts.

Irish moss is added 5 minutes later (55 minutes after boils starts).

Cool to ~70 degs and add yeast in primary fermentation vessel.

2 weeks after, move to secondary fermentation vessel (minus the yeast "cake" and other sediment) and add vanilla. Wait 7 days before bottling or kegging.

Hows that?

Thanks a ton for breaking it down for me. That helps tremendously. I've got all the ingredients and will be brewing this one tonight! Can't wait!

So, I just brewed this and its in the primary. I was doing to many things at once and totally forgot the Dry Malt. :( How weak do you think it will be? I am hoping it will still turn out ok, maybe just a bit less abv.... I am really bummed. I had big hopes for this one at Christmas.

Ah well. Live and learn ;)

Don't know. I shattered my hydrometer after checking the FG on the brew I was bottling while the wort was cooling..... Not a great day :mad:

A plus is that I did use the 3.3lbs tubs of LME. So I had 6.6lbs of LME. Missing that 1lb of DME can't cause that big of a problem....can it? I should have plenty of fermentable sugar for the yeasties with the 6.6lbs of LME.

Edit: I just ran my screw up through iBrewmaster and it calculated an OG of 1.051. That, and i am just under 5gal. I think it'll be fine. I guess it's time to relax, stop worrying and have a home brew :mug:

Edit x 2: looks like fermentation has started (16hrs after pitching). So I've got that going for me. Which is nice.

Hey
I'm excited to be brewing this next. It's my first non-kit batch. I swapped the 1 lb dark dme for a 1 lb half dark /half wheat dme, and the lhbs didn't have Kent so I subbed fuggles. Hope it turns out OK. What are your thoughts on this being ready to drink by Christmas?

You'll be pushing it to get it ready in a bottle for Christmas but you might be able to drink it. You need 3 wks from brew to bottle and then at least 2 wks in the bottle. It will be much better in a couple months.

Guidry said:
You'll be pushing it to get it ready in a bottle for Christmas but you might be able to drink it. You need 3 wks from brew to bottle and then at least 2 wks in the bottle. It will be much better in a couple months.

Yeah, those are my thoughts too. Gonna give it a shot though just to have another variety.

OK finally got around to brewing this today. I know that it won't be ready for xmas but still excited. I'm thinking about 10 days primary before racking to the secondary with the vanilla, then another 2 weeks there before bottling.

OK finally got around to brewing this today. I know that it won't be ready for xmas but still excited. I'm thinking about 10 days primary before racking to the secondary with the vanilla, then another 2 weeks there before bottling.

Good plan....I was going to toss it in the secondary at day 7. It was still bubbling pretty good. I'm going to do the typical rookie thing and push the schedule just a bit so I can drink some just after Christmas. :tank: BUT, I am going to let it settle in the primary for sure before going secondary.

fifthcircle said:
Good plan....I was going to toss it in the secondary at day 7. It was still bubbling pretty good. I'm going to do the typical rookie thing and push the schedule just a bit so I can drink some just after Christmas. :tank: BUT, I am going to let it settle in the primary for sure before going secondary.

Yeah I know how you feel, it's killing me not to have it by xmas! It's already bubbling the blow off tube. Starter must be working! Now I have to find vanilla beans.

Yeah I know how you feel, it's killing me not to have it by xmas! It's already bubbling the blow off tube. Starter must be working! Now I have to find vanilla beans.

I think most are using vanilla extract, as it's more consistent.

I am using vanilla paste (thick extract) and the juice from some vanilla bourbon cherries. :ban:

Hi all
So I brewed this recipe, and had OG of 1.066. I took first reading today on day 10 in primary and it's 1.027. I'd expected it to be lower. By now I'm sure there's not much more fermentation going to happen. Is this about what I should have expected? Any thoughts about repitching? I used WL4 ale yeast, 2L (almost) starter that took off in <12 hours. I want to rack to secondary soon but not if it isn't done. Thanks for any thoughts!

*bump

Please?? :)

TBlock said:
Hi all
So I brewed this recipe, and had OG of 1.066. I took first reading today on day 10 in primary and it's 1.027. I'd expected it to be lower. By now I'm sure there's not much more fermentation going to happen. Is this about what I should have expected? Any thoughts about repitching? I used WL4 ale yeast, 2L (almost) starter that took off in <12 hours. I want to rack to secondary soon but not if it isn't done. Thanks for any thoughts!

I would just rack it to secondary. But I'm new.... lol

What temp are you fermenting at?

Remember, RELAX, DONT WORRY, HAVE A HOMEBREW!

Which yeast did you use? Wondering because that's pretty high to be done. You're not going to taste much vanilla at all at that FG. If it were me, I might repitch.

Update for my screwed up (no DME) recipe. I bottled a week ago, and it's still flat, but tastes good. I ended up adding more vanilla at bottling time, and am glad I did. The vanilla is perfectly balanced with the roast/coffee notes. As for the lack of DME during the boil, it doesn't seem to have caused any major problems. My beer has a similar mouthfeel to a lot of stouts I have had. Alcohol content may be down a tad, but that's no biggie.
Cheers, and thanks for posting this recipe!

Anyone ever brew this recipe with a dry yeast? Thinking S-04 or US-05?

My LHBS has a ridiculously embarrassing selection of liquid yeast.

Ok,.....so I took the recipe to my LHBS and it got changed a little...ended up using an amber lme and something else I dont recall right now.
I screwed up a few things along the way............way too long to cool the wort to pitching temp (about4-5 hrs)..which I have a cure for....and impatience on my part by racking to secondary at 9 days with a gravity of 1.024...which I have also learned why not to do since...but after all the mishaps and screw ups of a newbie that was too excited.........I cracked one open today and man does this stuff have promise if its only gonna get better!!!!!

I left it for three weeks total (ended with 1.020)..then bottled with 4-5 tsp of vanilla extract...and after 6 days in the bottle, I get a rich creamy brown head on the glass...no light penetration..looks like really used motor oil...and the taste is Awesome!!!!
I will likely brew a double batch of this next time..one to do it right and two to have plenty to let season..this will be a huge hit with my local brewthas!

Brewed this recipe this past saturday. I made some modifications to the recipe. Decided to go with all liquid extract. Switched to Galena Hops since they did not have Cluster Hops. Going to split the batch to two three gallon secondaries. The one I am going to leave as the recipe states and the other I am going to add oak chips soaked in Jack Daniels to see they difference in the tastes. I am very excited to see how this works out.

you wont be sorry...so far mine is awesome..and I'm sure I messed up a few things as stated.
my new staple in the fermenter for sure!!

Brewed an all-grain version of this last Monday (MLK Day, as I was off) using US-05. SG was 1.056 and last night I took a gravity reading. Read 1.010 which puts the ABV at about 6. Kinda high but it tasted nice, maybe a little thinner, obviously. I was planning on using 4 vanilla beans as the last time I brewed it I used 2 and the vanilla was difficult to notice. Seeing this low FG I may stick with 2 again to not get too much vanilla taste.

So, I found this "spice store" in town that sells vanilla beans individually (3 different types) at a real nice price soooooooo, tonight, after a soaking in a small amount of JD, I will be introducing 3 Madagascar vanilla beans to about 5.25 gallons of soon to be None More Black Vanilla Stout.

I've brewed this a couple times, and I use 3 beans soaked in JD. It is nice, with a subtle vanilla flavor. I don't think you'll be disappointed. It certainly isn't overpowering.

I've brewed this a couple times, and I use 3 beans soaked in JD. It is nice, with a subtle vanilla flavor. I don't think you'll be disappointed. It certainly isn't overpowering.

Second time brewing it myself. My first all-grain brew though. Can't decide if I want to bottle or keg it though. Bottling makes it easier to share but adds about 2-3weeks to the wait.

Just finished brewing this one. I'm really excited to see how this one is going to turn out!

Guidry said:
Anyone ever brew this recipe with a dry yeast? Thinking S-04 or US-05?

My LHBS has a ridiculously embarrassing selection of liquid yeast.

I used US-05. No problems!

Guidry said:
Second time brewing it myself. My first all-grain brew though. Can't decide if I want to bottle or keg it though. Bottling makes it easier to share but adds about 2-3weeks to the wait.

At my house, this one doesn't last very long. The keg might be gone before the bottles mature.

Update:

I just brewed that vanilla stout yesterday. OG was around 1.056 ish... Started burping today. It's scaring the cats and girlfriend hahaha

brewed this today, ALL GRAIN
ingredients went something like this

8 lbs pale malt (2 row)
1 lb red wheat malt
1 lb chocolate malt
1 lb roasted barley

1.5 oz east kent goldings (bittering)
2.0 oz east kent goldings (finishing)

yeast: white labs irish ale yeast

efficiency: 64%
OG: 1.046

went reasonably smooth, kinda upset by the efficiency, because i thought we did a great job milling the grains..... oh well, we'll see in a few weeks

i have some jim beam black cherry bourbon sitting around (classy, i know) that i think i'll be soaking the vanilla bean in... could be either great, or a complete train wreck, we'll see

anyone have efficiency suggestions?

Guidry said:
Which yeast did you use? Wondering because that's pretty high to be done. You're not going to taste much vanilla at all at that FG. If it were me, I might repitch.

I ended up not repitching. It tastes pretty good but it is light on the vanilla flavor. Definitely gonna do this one again.

Took a gravity reading yesterday, and a tiny sip... racking to carboy today. Have 3 beans all gutted and chopped, soaking in black cherry Bourbon

Back