"Free the hops" calls to Boycott A-B, but err...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chumprock

Reaction score
I saw Great Divide making comments in twitter today about them being tangled up by a boycott in Alabama where they think anything distributed under A-B must be evil, and therefore boycotted...

Breaking: Free the Hops boycotts Anheuser-Busch and their distributors in Alabama

Anyone know this group that could maybe appeal to their reasoning? I dont understand what this boycott actually accomplishes other than gurting the sales of Avery/Great Divide in Alabama.

I think the boycott is silly considering I doubt any of them (being craft beer enthusiasts) would bother to drink much AB product anyway.

Did you bother to read the link? Free the Hops tried to get a bill passed that would legalize 22oz and 750ml bottles, A-B fought against the bill, and the bill didn't pass. Alabama is the only state in the country that doesn't allow beer in those bottle sizes. So A-B basically prevented Great Divide and Avery (who have a lot of beer in 22oz bottles) from even being legally allowed to sell those in the state.

You missed the point. The A-B distro's are essentially harming their clients by working against the Free The Hops legislation.

Yes, I did.
I don't understand why they would lump breweries that distribute through them (which you also noted suffers from the limitation) into the boycott.

Yes, I did.
I don't understand why they would lump breweries that distribute through them (which you also noted suffers from the limitation) into the boycott.

Because every drop of beer sold by that distro generates profit FOR.... the distro (and the brewery.) What should happen is that the breweries (who knew how A-B acts) should call their distro to stop working against them.

Yes, I do understand that.. but at the same time if the people who would most drink those craft beers boycott them, you are going to have breweries just pull out of your market.
(Which seems to be counter to the cause)

I guess the next question I have is, how many options for distribution are there in Alabama?

So why would a brewery push to keep their options limited?

Exactly.

But shame on FTH for punishing the breweries who are distributed under AB.

Anyway, people who are aware of FTH are not likely to buy ANY AB product, so the only real punishment is going to go to those CRAFT brewers who are distributed by AB, not the AB beers themselves, so what does AB care if Avery or Great Divide loses sales?? They will make up for it with one of their other products.

Yes, I do understand that.. but at the same time if the people who would most drink those craft beers boycott them, you are going to have breweries just pull out of your market.
(Which seems to be counter to the cause)

I guess the next question I have is, how many options for distribution are there in Alabama?

They're not going to pull out. In the Birmingham market at least 5 or more. The other markets I am not so sure. It isn't a vast wasteland down here. :)

Boycotting Bud brands alone would be pointless. The people that drink AssLight in Alabama don't care about FTH or about good beer. But targeting the distributors, who are playing dirty politics in Montgomery, you apply leverage by virtue that the breweries call their distributor and raise hell. Otherwise there are few chips to play.

It is unfortunate how it works out, but sometimes you have to make a tough decision to move forward. Sure it is a risky move, but it takes courage to make that decision. If someone leaves there will be another to fill the void. Thank God for the craft revolution.

On a side note, in the mix is helping Alabama breweries grow. Unfortunately one of our own is caught in the middle of this. But they're working to bring their distro to the table to negotiate and not jerk FTH around. On a side note: B'ham Bud markets themselves to prospective breweries as responsible and supporters of the ABV restriction removals. If these breweries actually believed that then....

Most other states don't have to work through this crap we have.

So what do you propose?

Residents of the state of Alabama should tell their beer stores that they want them to stock more craft beer.

Stores should tell their distributors that they want to stock more craft beer.

Craft brewers should tell their state that the people want more options on the shelf.

FTH getting in a tit-for-tat war with AB is not going to accomplish anything. Frankly, I doubt anything is going to happen there for a long time. If the people of the state of Alabama wanted all of this, they would have been lobbying for this along time ago. It's only a slim minority that care enough about homebrewing and craft beer to say anything, and until they can get enough people on their side, AB is going to leverage their size and financial resources to their advantage.

Residents of the state of Alabama should tell their beer stores that they want them to stock more craft beer.

Stores should tell their distributors that they want to stock more craft beer.

Craft brewers should tell their state that the people want more options on the shelf.

FTH getting in a tit-for-tat war with AB is not going to accomplish anything. Frankly, I doubt anything is going to happen there for a long time. If the people of the state of Alabama wanted all of this, they would have been lobbying for this along time ago. It's only a slim minority that care enough about homebrewing and craft beer to say anything, and until they can get enough people on their side, AB is going to leverage their size and financial resources to their advantage.

We should probably have a hug-out too. Come on.

Actually you're incorrect, FTH Boycotted the same Bud distributor in 2008-9 which led to the passage of the Gourmet Beer bill raising our ABx limits. So this type of thing works, it is truly the only ORGANIZED way to make it work. And you have to remember, we're trying to hit the WHOLESALER/DISTRIBUTOR who is not AB/InBev.

FTH has thousands of members and we're doing exactly what you're talking about. We're a unified voice for change, we have a paid lobbyist to help, we have people on the ground in every city. I can't understand your opposition unless you're working in the 'industry.'

I work for a tool and die shop. I just don't understand how the craft breweries really appreciate a push to boycott them, that's all.

So you are saying the distributors are the ones who blocked the passage of this bill, or it was AB??

I just messing with you a little. It is the Bud distributors in the state that are causing the problems. They also have the weakest craft portfolios here as well. One of the AB/InBev lobbyists has been here once or twice at the behest of the local distributors. Alabama is about 1-3 years behind many other states (laugh it up) in the craft beer scene and probably a significant market for bud. I'm sure the craft breweries don't appreciate the boycott, but is really isn't about them but their distributor. (I promise I'm not trying to come off as a jerk..)

Tool and die show eh? So what you're saying is that you probably build my brew stand! ;)

Did you bother to read the link? Free the Hops tried to get a bill passed that would legalize 22oz and 750ml bottles, A-B fought against the bill, and the bill didn't pass. Alabama is the only state in the country that doesn't allow beer in those bottle sizes. So A-B basically prevented Great Divide and Avery (who have a lot of beer in 22oz bottles) from even being legally allowed to sell those in the state.

Not true. I've been buying 22oz & 750ml bottle size beers (including Great Divide) for at least 6 months now. It must be a county thing.

Do you ever leave said county? It is one of 2 that allow large containers. Hence Good People Brewing Co. calling their series County Line ales. FTH are trying to help everyone in the state. Generally it IS the entire state.

I just messing with you a little. It is the Bud distributors in the state that are causing the problems. They also have the weakest craft portfolios here as well. One of the AB/InBev lobbyists has been here once or twice at the behest of the local distributors. Alabama is about 1-3 years behind many other states (laugh it up) in the craft beer scene and probably a significant market for bud. I'm sure the craft breweries don't appreciate the boycott, but is really isn't about them but their distributor. (I promise I'm not trying to come off as a jerk..)

Tool and die show eh? So what you're saying is that you probably build my brew stand! ;)

I'd never build a stand for jerk like you!!

Just kidding. 8D

Actually, I'm the IT guy there. But I do have a decent set of tools at home and access to, and at least working knowledge of, most of the equipment at the shop.

It's my goal to build an electric brew rig for myself by end of summer, but I'm still trying to decide exactly what I want, RIMS or HERMS. But yeah, the welding, cutting, grinding part I could do easily.

I'd never build a stand for jerk like you!!

Just kidding. 8D

Actually, I'm the IT guy there. But I do have a decent set of tools at home and access to, and at least working knowledge of, most of the equipment at the shop.

It's my goal to build an electric brew rig for myself by end of summer, but I'm still trying to decide exactly what I want, RIMS or HERMS. But yeah, the welding, cutting, grinding part I could do easily.

While I was building the extension box for my dorm fridge/fermentation chamber I told the Mrs. that I wanted to go electric in the new garage we built. The look on the her face spoke a thousand profanities. As she was holding our newborn she said, I would like your daughter to know you. *OUCH* The electric rig will have to wait. :)

Wow! That had to hurt. My wife trusts me. Not sur emy daughter does after I accidentally shorted my pocketknife while looking into turning an old pitching machine into a pottery wheel... Meh. only 90VDC...

Boycotting Bud brands alone would be pointless. The people that drink AssLight in Alabama don't care about FTH or about good beer. But targeting the distributors, who are playing dirty politics in Montgomery, you apply leverage by virtue that the breweries call their distributor and raise hell. Otherwise there are few chips to play.

It is unfortunate how it works out, but sometimes you have to make a tough decision to move forward. Sure it is a risky move, but it takes courage to make that decision. If someone leaves there will be another to fill the void. Thank God for the craft revolution.

On a side note, in the mix is helping Alabama breweries grow. Unfortunately one of our own is caught in the middle of this. But they're working to bring their distro to the table to negotiate and not jerk FTH around. On a side note: B'ham Bud markets themselves to prospective breweries as responsible and supporters of the ABV restriction removals. If these breweries actually believed that then....

Most other states don't have to work through this crap we have.

I don't like it, not one bit. Such tactics are thuggish and leave a terrible taste (no pun intended) in my mouth at least. If I was involved in FTH I would walk out the moment such tactics come onto the table.

Actually, boycotting the AB Dist makes the most sense.

What AB did years ago when they established the distributorships was to include extremely restrictive non-competitive clauses in the contracts. IOW, you can sell AB products, but nothing else. Those contracts have held through the InBev takeover, although many distributors have abrogated this clause and paid the penalty fee and moved on with their craft beer lines.

Our local AB Dist suffered under this yoke for many years, until they finally bit the bullet and paid the (BIG $$$$$$) penalty to AB in order to be free to secure the dist rights to Yeungleung. Since then, their craft beer portfolio has grown every quarter, and they now offer some very good stuff (Sweetwater, New Belgium). For them, it was the best business move they ever made, because they are now clearing more every quarter through their craft beer sales than they had to pay AB for the breaching of the NC clause in the contract.

Apparently, the Alabama AB dists haven't seen the light as to how much money is at hand for the taking in the craft beer sales. If they had, they would have supported the legislation.

Back