Looking for 1g Recipe Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rage

Reaction score
So the warden and I brewed up some Graff last night, and kegged some Apfelwein tonight. We've done Graff twice now, and it was the first time for Apfelwein (Which is deliciously alcoholic by the way).

That said, we're looking to expand from there and try some new recipes. At this point in time we have 5-6 one gallon jugs, with funds to try pretty much anything we want. Right now we're looking for ideas on what we could try out (ingredients, yeasts, etc). We've got some cinnamon sticks, oak chips, and some other random items. Any suggestions?

On a similar note, the warden is particularly interested in trying something with molasses, so if you have any ideas there, I would be very grateful.

Thanks!

60L/120L crystal malt, I've heard that it's supposed to come out like a caramel apple cider. I've got a few recipes on backlog if you're interested.

I gathered them from most of the dark ages threads in this forum and then printed them off, so I can't really give credit where credit is due...

Caramel Apple Cider

5 gal unpasteurized apple cider, no preservatives
1.5 gal H2O
1.0 lb crystal 120L
4 cups dextrose (1.5 lb I believe)
5 campden tablets
1 tube White Labs english cider yeast
irish moss
yeast nutrient

-Sanitize carboy, funnel, etc.
-Pour cider into carboy
-Add campden tablets, seal and leave for 24 hours
-Steep crystal malt in 1.5 gal (to compensate for boil off)
-Bring to boil, add irish moss and yeast nutrient
-Boil 20 minutes then cool
-Add wort and dextrose to carboy
-Pitch yeast
-Mix well/aerate
-Seal carboy

2 gal Apple Juice/cider (not from concentrate)
8 oz crystal 10L
4 oz chocolate malt
WLP300 (or wheat yeast)

makes 2.5 gallons

steep grains at 154 for 20 mins (I use a grain bag) in 1 qt of water
sparge grains with 1 qt at 170 (I just dunk for about 5 mins)

Ferment for about 4 weeks (similar to apfelwein) to get rid of the rhino farts smell.
I think it tastes a lot like Granny Smith Woodchuck. People liked this alot.

3. (woops, my bad, this one is actually a mead, but I'll include it anyway) You could probably just lower the OG down to a cider-like one and then go from there)

Caramel Apple Mead

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Lalvin K1v1116
Yeast Starter: yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.120
Final Gravity: 1.010
IBU: n/a
Steep Time (Minutes): 45
Color: golden brown
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 15 days at 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 35 days at 68F

4 Gallons apple juice
2 lbs light DME
3 lbs 60L Crystal malt
7 lbs Orange blossom honey
2 lbs clover honey
2 lbs buckwheat honey

2 vanilla beans

Steep grains in 1.5 gallons of apple juice at 155F for 45 minutes and remove from heat. Stir in the DME and honey. Rinse grain sack with 1/2 gallon apple juice. Add the remainder of the apple juice. Aerate by vigorous stirring for at least five minutes. Aerate some more. I now use oxygen with a diffuser stone to aerate (better). Pitch yeast starter (hydrated with Go Ferm per container instructions) directly into the primary (plastic pail fitted with an air lock).

At about 1.075 add 5g Fermaid K
At about 1.035 add 5g Fermaid K
(Dissolve your nutrients in water before adding them to your must. This helps to minimize foam.)

Within about two weeks this should ferment out to 1.012 or so. Rack to secondary and add vanilla beans.
Allow to remain in the secondary for about a month.

Rack again onto 1 lb of buckwheat honey and 1/4t potassium metabisuphite or 5 campden tabs and 2 1/2t potassium
sorbate to stabilize. Add Super Kleer to clarify. Bulk age for six months to a year before bottling.

Back