Rogue Chocolate Stout Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prime

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody had a good Rogue Chocolate Stout Clone recipe for extract. I tried searching, but I didn't come up with anything.

Thanks!

Thanks, but I was hoping someone had some experience with a recipe. Kind of like to know how it turned out and such.

there was a clone recipe in an issue of zymurgy a few months back (the one with Pliny in it). I don't have a copy, but maybe someone here does.

This recipe is actually a reprint from Sep/Oct '03 issue of Zymurgy...

5 U.S. gallons (19 liters)
O.G. 1.060 (15 P)
IBU: 69

11.0 lb. Great Western 2-row pale malt
.5 lb. 120L Crystal Malt
.5 lb. Chocolate Malt
.5 lb. Rolled Oats
3.0 oz. Roast Barley
1.5 oz. Chocolate extract (in secondary)
1.0 oz. Cascade pellet hops, 5% a.a. (90 mins)
1.0 oz. Cascade pellet hops, 5% a.a. (30 mins)
1.0 oz. Cascade pellet hops, 5% a.a. (knockout)
1.0 tsp. Irish moss (20 mins)

Wyeast 1764 Pacman Ale Yeast (If available) or White Labs WLP001 California Ale or Wyeast 1056 American Ale.

Mash at 150*F for 60 mins. Sparge at 175*F to collect 6.5 gallons of pre-boiled wort. Boil 90 minutes. Coll to 60*F and pitch yeast. Ferment at 60*F for one week. Siphon into secondary at 50-55*F onto chocolate extract and hold until fermentation is complete, then package and condition.

EXTRACT PLUS SPECIALTY GRAINS:

Steep specialty malts in 150*F water for 20 mins. Strain, add 7.5 lbs. Light LME and proceed with 60 minute boil adding hops at specified intervals.

I know this thread has been dead for awhile, but i was looking at brewing this soon. If I do extract, the directions say "boil 60 min, add hops per schedule", but the 1st hop addition is at 90 min on the all grain version. Do I just add it at 60 min instead? Also, it says ferment @ 60 degrees for 1 week, then siphon to secondary on top of the chocolate extract and hold until fermentation is complete. Shouldn't all of the fermentation be done in the primary? I would be racking it off of the yeast cake from the primary, so it wouldn't be fermenting much in secondary, would it? Thanks for helping a noob. :mug:

It's been dead for even longer now!
One question from a new brewer, if I do extract, are the speciality malts the crystal, chocolate, oats and barley?

Back