Cutting back first shoots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayBullen

Reaction score
So last weekend we started seeing some nice healthy shoots coming out of most of the second year hops. I've read a few things that recommend cutting back the first shoots that come up. Is this common practice? Should they all be pruned back to the ground or do you prune all but one or two?

I am letting one have its way, and pruning another all but three shoots for comparison. I also dug rhizomes off some and left others.

I now have 3 cascade in the third year, one in the second, 2 cut rhizomes planted. I have 2 third year magnum, 2 cut rhizomes planted (third year location they dont seem to like, may move them all this winter). 2 third year nugget, 2 cuttings planted.

I also gave a friend several cascade cuttings.

My second year Centennial and Horizon have shot out of the ground in the past three days, 5-8 shoots per. I plan only going with 4 shoots, two per string, to see it goes.

As such, I'm gonna wait until they're about 6-8" high before I prune/cut back the weaker looking ones...but they're everywhere!!!

It is a common commercial practice to promote more uniform growth. Not necessary for home growers. Keep a minimum of 2.

I just planted my first year of cascades, word hasn't they should be left alone the first year. Do I let them go free or cut them back at all when I get my first shoots?
I can't wait to have the yard invaided!

So should we be waiting until later in the season to string some up, or go ahead and do it? I have a few shoots coming up now, but was thinking that May is when i should string them up..

Back