Blueberry Cyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poobah58

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Gonna get this one going today!

Blueberry Cyser
2.5 Gal Apple Juice
0.5 Gal Blueberry Juice
4 lbs Blueberry Honey
2 lbs Blackberry Honey
2 lbs Raspberry Honey
2 lbs 4.0 oz Blueberries, Frozen
12.0 oz Blueberries, Dried
1 Pkgs Lalvin D-47
6.25 gm Go-Ferm
6.00 gm DAP
6.00 gm Fermaid-K

i dont have enough time on my hands right now to look into your numbers, but be aware that too much nitrogen addition is bad for your yeast health and also because post-fermentation residual N2 can become food for spoilage bacteria. It all depends on the naturally present assimilable nitrogen contents of your must, and on the total of fermentable sugars youre starting with (the amount of work your yeast will have to make).

Using all that honey would in fact command nutritional additions, but fruit juices on their own commonly have good amounts of yeast food.

Also, look into staged additions for your DAP, as yeast will see it as "fast-food candy" and become lazy and tend to overlook the natural N2 already present in your must if you give them too much in the beginning. A bit like us humans ;)

Staged additions would be your total addition spread across 3 equal proportions: at the start (2 days more or less after pitching), at mid-ferment, then at the beginning of the last 1/3 of your fermentation. Be careful not to add the last one too late, as DAP additions below 4 degrees Brix wont get metabolized by the yeast and could become food for nasties later on.

By the way, DAP additions are sometimes a good way to deal with sluggish/stuck ferments.

Later additions would have to be made by diluting the stuff in a sample before being thrown into your brew or else you could risk extreme foam accidents! (having to do with the dissolved CO2 being suddenly released by surface contact with the DAP crystals)

by the way your recipe sounds absolutely delicious! :rockin: keep us posted

I imagine he will be using Hightest's SNA, as he has discussed its use in other threads.

Oh I wasn't trying to be mean, was just pointing out he knows his stuff. Your info was good, I think that was some of the more detailed stuff on SNA outside of the mead facts.

Yea, I use the SNA approach. Just too lazy to write it down. :eek:. OG came out to 1.118.

"Wow that sounds good, what dos the honey taste like? "

All 3 of these honeys taste quite sweet to me. The blueberry has a hint of blueberry in it. The others kinda hard to explain. FYI, the honey tastes like the flower, not the fruit....

... but be aware that too much nitrogen addition is bad for your yeast health and also because post-fermentation residual N2 can become food for spoilage bacteria.
Even with fruit additions, supplemental YAN is beneficial.

However, the timing of the additions is also important. Adding nutrients after the point at which the yeast can effectively use them can cause bad things to happen. The Mead FAQs provide more detail on nutrients & honey fermentation concerns.

Back