Conversions and volumes of ingrdients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rounder999

Reaction score
I need some idea of what my ingredients come out in volume since I don't have a scale. For instance how many cups is 500gr of maltodextrine or dextrose? How many cups is a pound of DME or LME? Anyone know a convenient source online?

Yeah cups are for cakes and flour, I can pound a bunch of stuff into a cup and it will weigh a lot!

You simply should NOT convert weight to volume, for the reasons already mentioned. Even priming sugar is sold by weight, not volume...and the people that measure by volume are usually the ones complaining about inconsistent carbonation. I.e. 'this batch has too much fizz...the last one didn't have enough, but I used the same 2/3cup of dextrose'.

buy a cheapo analog scale if nothing else. It should only cost you $5 or so.

Or just search the threads for ebay scales. There's one that's like $15 and it supposedly really good.

B

If you brew, you should have a digital scale. It's also good for checking the letters for postage.

Back