Alexander Keith's Amber - Yuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I'm in Toronto and found a pub with a dozen taps. I figured I'd try something I never heard of. I've never had an amber that lacked flavor like this. It had to be less than 15 IBU. Maybe I'm just used to my Red Rocket clone ambers but I barely finished the pint.

Hey, at least they had Blanche de Chambly on tap.

I'll back that up 100%... What makes it even worse is that they try and advertise themselves as a brewery with tradition. Recently I tried to warn a buddy of mine (who loves good beer) to not bother to try their IPA. He did anyway and had the same reaction as myself, "THIS is an IPA?!?!? It tastes like a watery lager!".

Ya that stuff is pretty terrible. Where did you end up? Beer Bistro is excellent if you haven't been there. I'd also suggest Mill Street or Granite Brewery. Alexander Keiths is not a micro so steer clear of any of their stuff.

Oh, it looks like they make a Light Ale too.

...Created in the same vein as Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale, Alexander Keith's Light Ale is light in colour and hopped in flavour. Available only in Nova Scotia, PEI and New Brunswick, Keith's Light Ale is known as a light tasting ale whose subtle black licorice/anise notes contribute to its character. In terms of flavour, Alexander Keith's Light Ale is known for its clean bitterness, slightly sweet/malty flavour and light body. It is also smooth and well balanced, with a light ester undertone which gives Keith's Light Ale its floral/fruity nose.

Alexander Keith's Light Ale is only brewed in Nova Scotia and is a great complement to the region's most popular beer, Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale. With an alcohol content of 4% by volume, it has a very clean taste that makes it a highly drinkable beer...​

I think this stands out "light tasting...light body...clean taste makes it highly drinkable"

I'll be sure to stay clear of these.

I've had the "IPA" and it is indeed heinous.

I tried to get my hands on a Ten-Penny right before it was discontinued just to have another awful Maritime brew.

It was at some place on Yonge St a few blocks from Bloor called Elephant and Castle. Prior to that I had 2 or 5 pints at C'est What (35 taps, all Canadian). Honestly I don't remember what I had but the beers were all good. I did walk past BeerBistro and it looked a little stuffy so I kept walking. Keith's amber was like an unhopped, dried out English Mild. Coors light has more malt flavor.

Beer Bistro definitely tries to be stuffy but they have a great beer selection, they have the beer list on the website. They are even carrying some of the more popular US micros. Not a lot of Canadian stuff but there is some stuff from Ontario. I'd rather go to Mill Street personally.

I have freinds from out east who LOVE!!!!! keiths IPA, best beer ever! In their opinion. I can drink one if it is cold, it is like molson canadian or the other lagers. I think that keiths should be taken to court because it isnt an IPA and it is false advertising to call it that. It dosent even come close to the style guidlines for an IPA. I "tried" to get my swill drinking freinds to come over to tasty beers. Seeing as they "love" IPAs I brought a bottle of Spinnakers IPA and poured a round for everyone. 3 of them hated it said it tasted like it had gone bad. One liked it and the other seemed indifferent. I am sorry to say that I will never convince some of them, especialy when he belives all the hype about the pride of nova scotia!

Wing nut

I tried a few of the Alexander Keith's beers when I was in Banff - they all tasted about the same to me, and none were very good at all.

It was at some place on Yonge St a few blocks from Bloor called Elephant and Castle. Prior to that I had 2 or 5 pints at C'est What (35 taps, all Canadian). Honestly I don't remember what I had but the beers were all good. I did walk past BeerBistro and it looked a little stuffy so I kept walking. Keith's amber was like an unhopped, dried out English Mild. Coors light has more malt flavor.

Elephant and Castle is a chain of fairly authentic English Pubs. I was just at one in downtown Chicago and had a few Fuller's London Porter pulled from the firkin. They have a lot of good beers there on tap.

As for Alexander Keith's... I can drink it if its cold, and I don't think it is all that terrible. But I do not consider their IPA an IPA. It would class it with the rest of the commercials - kind of like a Molson Export or an Olands.

Back