Yeasty taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talcottsk

Reaction score
I sampled my first batch when I transfered to secondary--a bit alcohly (13%) and yeasty taste too--I tried to not transfer the crud at the bottom of my bucket, but I must have gotten some

Will this go away after some time or should I be extra careful when tranfering from secondary to bottles--it looks like its settling out nicely

before bottling I tasted and its seems ok now--but I just checked bottles, and they are on there saide, and I line of sediment has formed--should I worry? Just dead yeast right?
How can I prevent this next time

I wouldn't worry too much about getting a little yeasty crud in the bottom of your bottles; it isn't too unusual for some suspended gunk to fall out of what might have appeared to be crystal clear cider/wine/mead/what have you.
To minimize this, when racking from your fermenter to your bottles, start with your hose about halfway into the carboy and slowly work your way down- don't just put it all the way down to the bottom within an inch of your lees.
Or you could filter your cider through activated charcoal. I wouldn't suggest this, since it seems to strip out some of the character of your product, but it works fairly well if you really want to.

... you drank live activated yeast? It will start eating your body! :D Nah, it's all good, things will tend to have a yeasty taste to them. Once it settles out the taste should go away.

OdinOneEye said:
it isn't too unusual for some suspended gunk to fall out of what might have appeared to be crystal clear cider/wine/mead/what have you.
Exactly!
Talcottsk, with your 'apple wine' (at 13% ABV we're pushing it to still call it a 'cider' ;) :D ) still needing age to mellow out the alcohol i'd have racked it a few more times and let it throw more sediment rather than bottled it as early as you might normally do with a lower ABV brew.
Pour carefully when you're ready to drink it and leave the sediment behind this time though - it'll still be good when it's aged!

yes, i think it would be best to call it apple wine ;) In hindsight, I should have let it settle longer or racked it more than once to clear off all the sediment--my friend help me bottle, and I think he stirred with the transfer tube a bit--want something done right.....

Back