over carbonated?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verbal

Reaction score
This is my 4th batch of beer. I added the same pack of sugar i have used for all my kits, i get it form AHS and it is a small package of corn sugar p remeasured for carbonating. IT has been 2 weeks since the beer was in the bottles and I have opened about 5 now and EVERY time, it foams like crazy for a few minutes till about half the beer has foamed out the bottle. I don't understand it. there was a tiny tiny amount of white stuff floating on top of the beer in each bottle, is it some sort of bacteria? Does anyone have any ideas?

Yeah...you opened them a week to soon. The white stuff is yeast that hasn't settled and means that the carbonation/conditioning process is not complete.(Sometimes it actually forms a visible krausen in the neck, that will settle back down.)

Most of the CO2 will work itself back into the beer, carbonating and conditioning it.

3 weeks bottle conditioning (at room temp) then a week in the fridge and everything should be fine.

One thing, what temp are you storing them at while they condition.

I would chill them down now. If after 3-4 days they still foam out then I think you may have a problem.

I definitely think you have an infection. No amount of under carbing would do that. The foaming is because the co2 is in the beer. If it was out it would just hiss more.

Sorry, gushers for sure.

Back