Control panel build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owentp

Reaction score
I am at a limit with my panel for 220v circuits. Can I build a controller from 120v input that will control both march pump & 1500-2000w element for RIMS tube? I don't think you can have more than one receptacle on a 220v line line you can 120v can you? Otherwise my problem is solved.

You should have a question of ampacity. How many amps does your source support? How much additional amperage do you need to drive your secondary controller?

I am not aware of any restriction on adding a second receptacle on a 220V line. All wiring needs to be sized to the amperage of the breaker.

Keep in mind that 'code' states to NOT exceed 80% of the breaker rating.

'da Kid

So can you run a 2000w element (120v) & a marc pump from a control box build & do you have a good build diagram?

It depends on what devices you are using. Even then most of the manuals will show you typical wiring configurations.

Send over a model number for your controller and I can link you to the manual or help you design wiring!

Let me find it down in my project box & ill let you know. I plan to build my own RIMS w/a 1500-2000 watt 120v element to use the controller with & a march pump.

120 v 2 wire w/ground. Is this possible? I know just enough about circuitry to be dangerous!

Yea it's a question of amperage. But I'd assume that you could, I run 4 elements (7.4kW total) on a 50amps, so that could most likely do both the burner and the pump, maybe even so if your on a 30A.

How do you wire it from that single 30 or 50 amp 120v circuit to provide power to both receptacles of the control panel?

Bring in your 3 wires (Black-Line, White-Neutral, Green-Ground\Earth). Ground the cabinet to the green wire (there should be a post for this). Then you can bring your input (Black and white)voltage to a terminal block then out to the devices, or daisy chain the devices (Input-A-B-C-D).

Terminal blocks would be the best method, especially if you want to fuse devices individually.

Let me know if this makes sense, or I can sketch something up quickly.

Kinda following ya. What are terminal blocks? Are these relays or are you referring to the controller pid or to the plug receptacles? A drawing would be helpful if you could!

Thanks!

Kinda following ya. What are terminal blocks? Are these relays or are you referring to the controller pid or to the plug receptacles? A drawing would be helpful if you could!

Thanks!

Terminal blocks take one wire connection and turn it into multiple connections. Or just act as a place to connect two different wire runs.

Thanks!
Pictures showing terminal blocks inside my enclosure.
Look at them as a distribution system.

http://m238.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/ClaudiusB/Brewing for dummies/100_0048.jpg.html?o=25

http://m238.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/ClaudiusB/Brewing for dummies/100_3369.jpg.html?o=24
Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Yes, you can run both your controller and a heating element from a single 120VAC circuit. You will need to determine what amperage your power circuit is (or can be). I would recommend at least a 20A circuit breaker, preferably the GFCI type. That circuit would require #12 AWG wiring. This would be fine with a 1500W element (12.5A) for your RIMS tube and your controller (the datasheet I found for it only showed a 50mA current draw at 120VAC). If you choose a 2000W element (16.7A), you'll be getting close to capacity and will be exceeding the 80% guideline. You could then choose a 30A (GFCI) circuit breaker, but would need to ensure that the circuit is wired with #10 AWG wire.

Another style of readily available terminal blocks are below. I use what's called a power distribution block for my panel that has 240VAC, 50A incoming hot, hot, and neutral wires, along with a ground block for the grounds. This is an easy way to distribute multiple, smaller gauge wire circuits from a single, larger incoming circuit. See an example below.

Double Row Terminal Block.jpg

PDB.jpg

Could I run the controller, element & march pump? Any good wiring pics? I'm one of those visual learners.

This is a pic of the diagram & connections to my controller. Its a Rex C100. Chinese version of a Aubins. Anybody make heads or tales of where I am supposed to connect what wires to what connections?

image-3386011846.jpg

image-995028050.jpg

This is a pic of the diagram & connections to my controller. Its a Rex C100. Chinese version of a Aubins. Anybody make heads or tales of where I am supposed to connect what wires to what connections?

Well...it looks like 1 and 2 are your power in (not polarized, most likely). 8/9/10 are for connecting your RTD probe. 6/7 are the alarm. 4 goes the positive side of the SSR, 3 goes to the negative side of the SSR.

I'll be damned, ClaudiusB, you were right! Thanks for the input! Would have never seen those otherwise. Probably why i could never get it to work!

Any chance you can send me that pdf? I got it working but need to get a different 2 wire thermocouple that has a longer probe. I went in to play with settings & screwed them up & need guidance for correct settings with k style thermocouple.

Any chance you can send me that pdf? I got it working but need to get a different 2 wire thermocouple that has a longer probe. I went in to play with settings & screwed them up & need guidance for correct settings with k style thermocouple.

Scroll down and you will find C100, 400, etc.

http://www.rkcinst-usa.com/manual_download.html

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Back