Everytime i sanitize

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mmm. Nope.

OxiClean, PBW and other cleaners leave a slimy foam. It doesn't completely rinse away without multiple rinses or a little help from a sponge. Could that be it?

Do you leave them in the star san for an extended period of time. I have noticed that when I leave something in the bucket of sanitizer over night there tends to be a film or residue left behind.

Same here as BradleyBrew - If I leave it in StarSan overnight, then yes, it gets a terribly slimy white film on it.

However as long as I only leave it in StarSan for an hour or two - then no, I haven't noticed a film like you describe - How strong are you making your StarSan mixture? Any chance you are using too much concentrate per gallon?

Put it back into PBW. I forget the technical reason, but the film is basically the soap element from the starsan attaching to something in the plastic. Toss the plastic items back into the PBW/Oxiclean and the higher pH will remove the film. Short contact time for plastic with starsan will avoid this. Kind of hard when I store it in plastic buckets.

Back