Potential bottle bomb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmatson

Reaction score
I bottled my dunkelweizen last night, but am worried that I may be at risk of bottle bombs and am looking for experienced advice. My OG was 1.054 and I was using the T-58 specialty yeast. It fermented end for 12 days total. I measured gravity at 1.022 at day five and 1.020 on day 12. The fermenter bucket was in a 15gal water bath in my garage and the bath temp remained between 60-62 for most of fermentation, though one day I saw that it dipped to 59F. I primed with 2/3 cup granulated cane sugar for 5 gal of beer. My fear is that my fermentation was stuck, which caused the under attenuation. This yeast is a poor flocculator so there was still a lot of it in suspension. I was expecting the FG to be at least 4-5 points lower. Is that enough to worry about bottle bombs?

Im sure its fine. It dropped 2 points over 7 days, so id say it likely didnt have much more to do. I normally only experience 2-3 dropped points between day 7 and day 21 (when I do a 3 week fermentation/conditioning).

Forgot to put part 2. As a precaution, put them in a place you dont mind a mess just in case :)

Back