Good deal on a hop screen/ basket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottsr123

Reaction score
I've been looking into making a large hop screen/basket for my brew kettle to contain the pellet hop mess (I make a lot of IPA's). I found a guy on E-Bay, very well reviewed, who will make a stainless steel, 400 micron basket, 12" diameter x 12" deep (my requested dimensions), with tabs to rest on the top of my BK, for $80. I don't think I could build it myself for this price.

Sound like a good deal? Any concerns with the 400 micron stainless mesh?

Thanks!

Thanks, Bx. Sounds as if the consensus is that, for pellet hops, 300 micron is the way to go.

Ok... Just ordered a 300 micron basket for $30. Sounds like a very cool product.

I used a 10"x4" 300 micron basket on my last 12 gallon brew, and it was almost full with only 5oz of hop pellets... I'm curious to know if this is about what others are seeing, and what size basket I should upgrade to if I was wanting to do an IIPA... My rough math says 6x the space to hop 32oz of pellets for something like a Pliny the younger clone...

That would be a huge basket... Am I missing something?

MadGus said:
I used a 10"x4" 300 micron basket on my last 12 gallon brew, and it was almost full with only 5oz of hop pellets... I'm curious to know if this is about what others are seeing, and what size basket I should upgrade to if I was wanting to do an IIPA... My rough math says 6x the space to hop 32oz of pellets for something like a Pliny the younger clone...

That would be a huge basket... Am I missing something?

I had the same concern regarding the lack of area when using large quantities of hops. So, I ordered a hop screen 12" in diameter x 14" deep, 300 micron screen. I received it the other day, and really like how it fits in my brew kettle. I can't wait to brew with it, will report on how it works.

I ferment in a bucket and a 5 gal paint strainer from HD/LWS is amazing. It has an elastic band which fits around the top, sits near the bottom and when pouring is done, lift it up to drain. When the bottom gets clogged, grab the bottom and lift up and now it's draining out the side :ban:

No more... Hey honey can you help me strain the wort...

Toy4Rick

scottsr123 said:
I'm currently away from the house, will post pics next weekend.

Forgot I had these pics on my cell phone...

I was off on my dimensions; my filter is 10" diameter x 12" tall.

image-1458127266.jpg

image-3111301220.jpg
Here it is sitting in my 10.5 gal brew kettle. It sits about 2" above the bottom of the kettle.

image-2252873152.jpg

image-2442284807.jpg

Latest posts

Back