Cranberry Wheat- 3 week Primary/No Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrEggSandwich

Reaction score
Hello...I brewed a cranberry wheat on 11/24 added cranberry puree to boil in last 20 minutes.

I recently had knee surgery, so I really need to pick my spots on this batch. I would like to have it ready for Christmas.

Do you think it will be ok if I just do a 3 week primary, filter beer when bottling? Due to my knee, I don't think I can move it.

What does the recipe look like? As I understand it, wheat beers benefit from no secondary. Typically they seem to be unfiltered and retain a bit of yeast and sediment in the bottle. I know I am skipping secondary on my german wheat beer. That cloudy wheaty yeasty haze is sort of indicative of the style.

That said if you have hit your FG and much of the sediment (cranberries and other odds and ends) have settled out you could most definitely skip secondary if you don't intend on dry hopping or dry spicing.

I really only use a secondary if I want a clearer beer or I need to dry hop, which ends up being most beers but such is the burden of being a hop head.

if it's a standard wheat beer, with cranberry added, you should be fine with a 3 week fermentation, but you are the only one who can check that.

if your SG hasn't changed for 3 days you are done, whether it's 3 weeks, or 6 weeks, that's the indicator.

as far as being ready for christmas, i just bottled a wheat beer on Saturday, and I'm expecting to drink it for New Years (actually on January 7 for the football game), but not for Christmas.

wheat beer doesn't need secondary, but it does like a little extra time in the bottle.

Back