OG 10.10 All Grain Heifweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthague

Reaction score
Hey all

Trying my first all grain. Started with approx 6lbs wheat 3lbs pils

Mashed at 155 for 1hr.
Sparged through to get up to 6 gals in about 10 mins of running hot water and rerunning mash water.
Boiled for 120, reduced to about 5 gal.

Cooling now, testing with refractometer I'm getting 10.10- I'm still at 140f but worried its too light on sugars and if I should add some Malt Extract to not ruin the batch... Any input appreciated.

Or, grab a sample and cool it, and check with a hydrometer.

Something is very wrong with your reading. It could be an uncalibrated refractometer, poor efficiency, etc. But the lowly hydrometer is an excellent tool. Cool it to under 90 degrees, check the sample with a hydrometer and then report back with the reading and temperature and we'll help.

Or, grab a sample and cool it, and check with a hydrometer.

Something is very wrong with your reading. It could be an uncalibrated refractometer, poor efficiency, etc. But the lowly hydrometer is an excellent tool. Cool it to under 90 degrees, check the sample with a hydrometer and then report back with the reading and temperature and we'll help.

I got the same 10.10... At 80f.

Refract should be good as I saw proper readings with extract brews in the past.

I've sadly jumped the gun and added all the dme I had in the house (3lbs) brought it back to boil and am now rechilling it. The current og is 10.40 at boiling.

I didn't mill very well if I could look back over it, the malt may not have been cracked properly (banged it with a heavy implement..)

Despite me taking action already I'd love to hear better ways to avoid or fix it!

Back