Hops on top of floating hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsmills83

Reaction score
I'm dry hopping my IIPA with some whole hops from a friend of mine. They've been in the secondary for 5 days now. The whole hops take up so much volume that the ones floating on the top aren't even saturating in the beer. Should I be concerned or do anything to push down the hops? Thanks

image-4013217733.jpg

Don't worry the ones on the bottom will sink, eventually. You could give it a gentle swirl to get them all saturated. You might lose a whole gallon to that massive amount of hops.

I'd stick a solid bung in that bottle and give it a thorough rocking to at least turn that mass of hops over.

I doubt that pile is going to sink much more than it has already, otherwise...

Cheers!

In a bucket, you can bag your hops and weight them down, sort of what the mafia does to involuntary retirees. In a carboy, your best hope is to put the hops in first and rack on top of them. If you add an ounce or so of sugar, you can swirl periodically without fear of oxidation.

Thanks guys. Just got back from my weekend of beer drinking in bend, to find the hop island starting to fall apart. I think it will be good. Cheers

Back