sanitation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrone_mike

Reaction score
So I have a really simple question. I brewed my first batch of beer last night and followed everything to the tee. But i have a possible dumb question, actually definitely a dumb question but its leaving me stumped. What does everyone do after they sanitize there equipment. I sanitized everything per instructions but then after i stirred anything i didnt know where to set my spoon. As i was dumping into my fermenter i wasnt sure where to place my lid and airlock, measuring cups, etc I guess simple answer is a sanitized wire rack ir maybe im just over thinking it haha. Any input would help

Ok perfect! Thank you. I was kinda just standing there nervous to touch anything becauae everything you read really pushes sanitation ha

As you suggeted, i use a sanitized wire dish rack. It works great.

I leave sanitizer in a bowl and just set things in it as I need to. Little sanitizer goes into the wort, but that never hurt anything...

Ok sounds good thank you very much! Now its time to get out of work and hopefully see something bubbling

Since the fermenter lid is just about the last thing I need, I place it (bottom side up) on a sanitized counter and put everything like spoons, cups etc. on it. If the counter is sanitized stuff can also go on it.

bosco

I fill a 5 gallon bucket with sanitized water and just let everything sit in it when I'm not using it. If you use Starsan it actually acts as a yeast nutrient, so don't worry about drips getting in your wort. My kettle lid even fits in it. I sometimes have to fish around for smaller items, but that just sanitizes my hand.

I sanitized the counter before resting anything on it. 2nd time I went a little overboard maybe, would re-clean and re-sanitize...

OCD?

Also do you sanitize the brewpot (boil) or is it a waste of time?

I fill a 5 gallon bucket with sanitized water and just let everything sit in it when I'm not using it. If you use Starsan it actually acts as a yeast nutrient, so don't worry about drips getting in your wort. My kettle lid even fits in it. I sometimes have to fish around for smaller items, but that just sanitizes my hand.

i use this method.. i use idophor and just use the same bucket throughout the brewday to let items sit, rinse, or store in the bucket

Exactly what I do.

If you don't have extra buckets yet then consider using your kitchen sink!!

estricklin said:
Exactly what I do.

If you don't have extra buckets yet then consider using your kitchen sink!!

If you do use your kitchen sink, make sure to clean it very thoroughly first. I use Oxiclean because it's inexpensive. Others like PBW. measure out the water you use too so you use the right concentration of sanitizer.

Back