Where's Waldo?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biere_Titan

Reaction score
Six days ago, I brewed a Waldo Lake Amber from Northern Brewer. I properly aerated the wort and pitched Wyeast 1450 Denny’s Favorite with no starter. The fermenting bucket has been sitting in a swamp cooler maintaining a steady water temp of 65 to 67 degrees, the room’s temp is also fairly constant at 71 to 72 degrees.

I noticed very little action in the airlock beginning 24 hours after pitching. The next day all action appeared to have stopped. Now I’ve just read it suggested that I use a starter with Denny’s Favorite.

What do you think I should do? I’ve got a dry packet of Nottingham on hand, should I pitch it?

Thanks

What was your starting gravity? Its possible the majority of the fermentation occurred quickly and now the yeast are just cleaning up. Its hard to see what's going on because your using buckets. You had airlock activity so I think its okay. Push down on the bucket lid and see if the airlock bubbles. If so, then its fermenting.

You can make beer without a starter; a starter helps the yeast do a better job of fermenting. I think a pack of Wyeast is supposed to ferment 5 gallons up to a SG of 1.056 without a starter.

You posted you SG while I was typing. I think your okay. Take a peek through the hole in the lid for the airlock if your really nervous.

So I went to take a gravity reading per Yooper's suggestion, only to find that the airlock is miraculously bubbling away every 20 to 30 seconds now. Should i just leave the fermenter's lid on and let the yeast do its thing? Has anyone every heard of yeast taking six takes to get started?

So a second week has passed since brewing and I finally cracked open the top of the fermenter. I was pleased to find the gravity had dropped to 1.016. The beer tasted good, too. The yeast did its thing after all. This proves once again the virtue of being patient when making beer. Thanks.

Back