Temperature controllers.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarlHungus76

Reaction score
I was wondering what people's thoughts were on the various types of temp controllers out there. I will be using it on a fridgidaire 7.2 keezer, and am not finding much difference between the Ranco, Love, and Johnson brands.
I would like to avoid wiring directly if able, as this seems like an unnecessary hassle (correct me if I am missing something). So that likely means the outlet versions. Thanks in advance for any comments.

+1 on the "eBay aquarium temp controller"! It's an STC 1000 controller and its pretty easy to build. Plenty of examples on this forum. Works awesomely too! :rockin:

I love my stc, works good on my fermentation fridge and my ehlt and super cheap!

I have Ranco and Johnson both. Prefer the Ranco for +/- 1 degree accuracy and easy set features. The probe is also smaller than the Johnson and fits in 1/4 inch thermowells. No complaints - have 3 Ranco for fermentation controllers and use my two Johnson's on my kegerator and fermentation chamber ambient control.

Another recent STC 1000 convert here. Plenty of detailed instruction, works flawlessly ( thus far )

I have a mini fridge with an, apparently, bad temperature controller. Would the eBay aquarium temp controller be able to replace the one on my fridge? I would assume I could just plug in my fridge wires to the controller and be good to go.

You just have to bypass the mini fridges internal thermostat with the controller should work good

Back