How many BTU for AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScoutMan

Reaction score
Might work, it would be slow though. I think minimum is about 65,000 BTUs though. Give it a shot, see how long it takes to bring a pot of water to a boil.

It'll probably work fine for 5 gal batches. Only way to tell is to give it a try. Make sure to report back with the results, so others will know.

My burner is one of the standard 55000 BTU propane burners, and it has NO trouble boiling 6 gallons, and reaching a boil very quickly. It can maintain the boil with the gas turned way down from full blast. With 30k btu's it would take a bit longer to reach a boil but I suspect it would be okay other than that.

Well, I just came in from the garage. I put one burner up to full blast and was able to bring 7 gallons of hot tap water to boil in 35 minutes. As for the weight, this thing is hell for stout, so I figure it can hold the 125 lbs of two full 30 qt kettles with little problem. I am going to come up with some type of brace system cause it does seem a bit "tippy"

You'll probably be okay, as long as you can support the weight. At some point you'll probably upgrade your kettle, so consider the possibility of doing 10g batches; you just never know;). I've found that since I've been doing AG, I'm boiling closer to 7 gallons and evaporating down to 5.5 or 6gals by the end. You'll never go wrong with bigger/more powerful equipment :)

Back