Which recipe kit would you recommend for a 1st brew...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbrewguy11

Reaction score
Nearing the first brew, last thing to order is pretty much a recipe kit. I have been told that an Ale is the way to go at the start. What kit would recommend (links would be great). I am placing an order with Brewmasters Warehouse so I would prefer to order from there but would consider Midwest supplies. I know it may seem silly but I like how Midwest include instructions with some (all?) of their recipes.

what kind of beer do you like? IPA, brown ale? belgian? porter? american ale?

brew what you like. I would suggest a kit with a shorter turn around time - something like a lower Alcohol content IPA so you can drink your results faster. what do you like to drink, then we can move from there.

I wouldn't use a kit at all. I think kits can be largely overpriced. Try the classic Charlie Papazian book. It will give you tons of ideas and explain everything you need to do in order to "relax and have a homebrew"

Papazian really makes it fun.

Kits may be over priced, but I think they are a great way to brew a first batch. Mine was a red ale - lower alcohol, quick turn-around, but it was pretty boring. I agree with Runningwierd: a lower alcohol IPA or pale ale.
Good luck!

No way...a pale is boring...If the brewer can utilize good temperature control a Weiss beer or dopplebock would be way more rewarding...I mean come on...If you nail a good doppebock it's downright ambrosia.

No way...a pale is boring...If the brewer can utilize good temperature control a Weiss beer or dopplebock would be way more rewarding...I mean come on...If you nail a good doppebock it's downright ambrosia.

But if you don't nail it.... bleah.

I say keep it simple - a pale is good, a brown ale is probably even better - fast and you can cover up a few errors with the dark malts.

Don't expect perfection your first time out - and have fun.

But if you don't nail it.... bleah.

I say keep it simple - a pale is good, a brown ale is probably even better - fast and you can cover up a few errors with the dark malts.

Don't expect perfection your first time out - and have fun.

Agreed. I might go so far as suggesting a porter or a stout. Steeping grains is simple and roasty grains can really hide a lot of beginner problems. For a first batch you need something passable or you won't stick with it. This one is just to get you hooked, work out the kinks later.

OldWorld said:

I'm sorry, but I don't feel pale ales are boring at all. To each his own. This is a first time brewer. I feel it is better to keep it simple and just get through the process and have a decent beer to drink when finished: pale ales, IPAs, brown ales, and porters do that.

Sent from my Droid using Home Brew Talk

Thanks for all the input. My personal preference is for stouts. That being said, I was more looking for something I could reasonably pull off in a first brew, something with headroom for errors. I look forward to gaining some experiences but just not there yet :)

Thanks for all the input. My personal preference is for stouts. That being said, I was more looking for something I could reasonably pull off in a first brew, something with headroom for errors. I look forward to gaining some experiences but just not there yet :)

A stout would be easy! How about one like this: http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/recipe/20107bef/shoultzmeyer-brewery-extra-imported-stout I really like the looks of that one.

Stouts are especially good for beginning brewers and the roasty flavors help cover up any mistakes! They are one of the easiest beers to make, and with dry yeast it will be ready to bottle in about two weeks.

I've never done an extract kit from Brewmaster's Warehouse (they weren't around when I was doing extracts) but I love using them for ingredients and equipment. I assume their instructions would be very good, but if you need any assistance, we can type out some step-by-step instructions!

My vote would be for a simpler: ale, a brown, pale, or red/amber. Brewing what you like is good advice.

Any of the major online brew suppliers are reputed to have good kits, and I've had good luck with True Brew brand kits

Austin Home Brew also has a great selection of extract kits ranging from $25 bucks up.

A stout would be easy! How about one like this: http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/recipe/20107bef/shoultzmeyer-brewery-extra-imported-stout I really like the looks of that one.
That one looks great to me. My concern with BMW is they don't seem to indicate that any instructions come with it.

The one you linked to is that it has some "recipe note":
Steep grains at 158 for 30 minutes. Boil for 60 minutes. Add 1/2 of the LME at the beginning of the boil, and the remaining LME with 20 minutes left in the boil. Ferment at 65-70F.

That's just not enough instruction for me on a first run :)

I have heard good things about the true brew kits, will look into that as well.

That one looks great to me. My concern with BMW is they don't seem to indicate that any instructions come with it.

The one you linked to is that it has some "recipe note":
Steep grains at 158 for 30 minutes. Boil for 60 minutes. Add 1/2 of the LME at the beginning of the boil, and the remaining LME with 20 minutes left in the boil. Ferment at 65-70F.

That's just not enough instruction for me on a first run :)

I have heard good things about the true brew kits, will look into that as well.

The process will make more sense once you get started. I will try and break it down for you.

Bring some water (2 gallons minimum up to 6) to 158 degrees, add the grains to the included muslin bag and put in the water.
Wait 30 minutes
add the liquid malt extract and heat to boiling.
Add hops when listed (60 minutes means 60 minutes left in the boil for example)
add remaining malt extract
cool after 60 minutes and put into bucket/carboy, add water if needed to bring total volume to 5 gallons
check temp and pitch yeast.

make sure you sanitize everything that comes in contact with your beer once you cool the wort down.

Trust me this process is much simplier than it seems, buy the kit and let us know how it turns out.

The process will make more sense once you get started. I will try and break it down for you.

Bring some water (2 gallons minimum up to 6) to 158 degrees, add the grains to the included muslin bag and put in the water.
Wait 30 minutes
cool after 60 minutes and put into bucket/carboy, add water if needed to bring total volume to 5 gallons

make sure you sanitize everything that comes in contact with your beer once you cool the wort down.

Trust me this process is much simplier than it seems, buy the kit and let us know how it turns out.

Yep, we can type it out for you, no problem!

Those recipe notes will be "directions" to you in no time. That really is a sufficient amount information, but if you feel you need more for the first batch, I'd suggest getting a kit from austinhomebrew.com. They have fully typed out directions that start with "Get a 3 gallon pot" or something like that! It's been a while since I've done one, but I always loved their clear, concise, easy directions.

Wait 30 minutes

This helps considerably, thanks much. THese are the ingredients listed in that kit:

Briess Pilsen Extra Light Liquid Extract 7 lbs, 0 oz
Crisp Crystal Malt 60L 1 lbs, 3 oz
Crisp Roasted Barley 0 lbs, 8 oz
Crisp Chocolate Malt 0 lbs, 5 oz
Brewers Gold Pellets 2 oz @ 60 mins
SAFALE S-04 1 ea

Can you specifically tell me which components go with which step. I know I'm a complete newb but I would love to have something drinkable :) I am super appreciative of all the help in this thread and my others! I hate to be spoonfed but I am a baby at this point. I did attempt to take a shot at it:

My guess:

Wait 30 minutes

half at beginning of boil, other half when 20 mins left Briess Pilsen Extra Light Liquid Extract

other half of Briess Pilsen Extra Light Liquid Extract

check temp and pitch yeast. (Safale)

Yooper, i think newbrewguy could benefit from Palmers free How to Brew edition thats on the webs. Can you or one of the outstanding HBTer's post the link? I would do it but I am a dumb a** when it comes to technology.

I went with an Irish Stout for my first brew. Loved it so much, I immediately starting making another batch. No real problems, about as easy as it gets with awesome results.

if you want you can give me a call and i can help you out...the internet is great resource but sometimes someone talking with you makes things easier, pm me if you want help that way.

Midwest Supplies has a Liberty Cream Ale kit that is simple and tastes great. Highly recommended for a new brewer, and it's as good of a beer as you can get without any complicated ingredients or steps.

Single-stage fermentation works well for this beer too, so for your first beer, it's simple to make, quick to drink, and will build your skills for "steeping" and other techniques.

Here's the link, it's even cheaper than I remember

I use Midwest and one reason was that each brew kit had user reviews.

If you don't have your kit yet, I think they are giving away an irish red with the purchase of a brew kit.

This helps considerably, thanks much. THese are the ingredients listed in that kit:

Can you specifically tell me which components go with which step. I know I'm a complete newb but I would love to have something drinkable :) I am super appreciative of all the help in this thread and my others! I hate to be spoonfed but I am a baby at this point. I did attempt to take a shot at it:

My guess:

Wait 30 minutes

After the steep, remove the grains and throw them away. If you'd like, you can start with 2 gallons in the steep, and pour 170 degree water over the grains to "rinse" them. That's easiest if you lift out the grainbag and put it in a colander to do that. It's not necessary, but many brewers like to do it. You can pour it over until you reach your boil volume.

half at beginning of boil, other half when 20 mins left Briess Pilsen Extra Light Liquid Extract

other half of Briess Pilsen Extra Light Liquid Extract

check temp and pitch yeast. (Safale)

I'm going to type in a few additional helpful tips, but otherwise it's perfect! (My additions in pink).

Back