Batch stopped fermenting too soon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrewer83

Reaction score
I am trying my first PM hefe. I'm using Bavarian Wyeast. After the third day in the primary the bubbler was going crazy. But then on the 5th day when i transfered too the secondary it stopped. And now it is the third day in the secondary and there is still no activity. Is it time to bottle? The temperature stayed around 70-75. I'll do a FG reading. If its to where i want should i just go ahead and bottle?

Did you check the gravity before racking to secondary?

Normally you dont rack to secondary till fermentation is complete. All the fermentation should take place in primary.

Secondary fermentation is a kinda misleading term... no fermentation takes place there. The main reason you would use secondary is to allow the beer to clear.

So... if your beers been in secondary for 3 days... thats not really gonna achieve much at all. If you have reached your final gravity, you could bottle... but you'd prob be better off leaving it there for about 2 weeks, then bottle it.

oh ok. i feel better now. thank you. the recipe i read out of the Home Brew Bible said i should still see fermentation in the secondary.

Back