I WENT INSANE!!! what am i doing?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eluna

Reaction score
Ok for starters i made my own recipe (AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM DOING:D) just from the top of my head and my nose and while i was at the LHBS i started shoveling malts into my mouth to get the flavor
this is what i came up with......Duh duh DUNNNNNN o yeah this is my second time ever making a brew but i wouldnt really count my first batch.

ITS GONNA BE EL TERRIBLE!:rockin:

Deluge
Style:No clue?!?!?!
Type: Partial Mash
Date: 3/15/2010
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Brewer: Eluna
Boil Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: Brew Pot (6+gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (4 Gal)
Ingredients

Amount
9.00 lb Amber Dry Malt Extract Dry Extract
1.00 lb Cara-Pils Grain
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L Grain
0.50 lb Honey Malt Grain
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt Grain
0.50 lb Black Barley (Stout) Grain
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60min) Hops
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (50 min) Hops
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (45 min) Hops
0.25 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (30 min) Hops
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (25 min) Hops
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (15 min) Hops
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops
0.25 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (0 min) Hops whirlpool time 10 min
2 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs windsor (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

i did timed Pelleted hop additions cause i wanted to be cool and i hear you get better aroma.
Its in the Fermenator right now and it smelt like fresh hoppy sugar cereal pouring it in but yeah i have some clue of what i was doing but i was mostly just throwing in the kitchen sink got a OG of 1.095

Here is a video link to watch the Evil monster that i will drink no matter what it tastes like

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a descent RIS. The only thing I would worry about is the windsor yeast fermenting this thing out enough. It may end up pretty sweet.

I did something similar to this, but only in a 2.5 gallon batch. Is that a 6 gallon carboy with 5.5 gallons in it? That is not enough headspace in my opinion.

Good Luck!!

It will still be beer. Probably very sweet, but beer just the same.

Every year or so I end up making a "Kitchen Sink Stout" with is a mix of just about anything I have left over that didn't make it in a batch. I have yet to be disappointed, but I also try and stick to the style a little more.

You crazy californians...

Probably will be tasty, but I think it is more of a Baltic Porter in looks than a Russian Imperial Stout. But with that yeast, and all those hops, I guess it is a RIS. I have to agree with the above, the weak link here is probably the yeast. You could pitch another packet or two.

i dunno if you can plead insanity though... too neat of notes. you must let us know how it turns out though some of us may go crazy wit u muhahahaha

I bet it will be tasty...and at the very worst, drinkable. When it's ready, send one East!

yeah i can send one to you east just send me a address to [email protected] and when its done priming in the bottle i can ship one over

here is also the label i made:

seal2.gif

I did something similar in October in which I just picked a wide variety of grains I like and put them together. The beer was called "Monster Mash". It turned out ok and got better with age but was a lesson learned that it is better to tweak only a few specialty grains instead of "reinventing the wheel"

Looks like a descent RIS. The only thing I would worry about is the windsor yeast fermenting this thing out enough. It may end up pretty sweet.
yeah i was worrying about that too Im a little weary of using smack packs in my area cause it seems like non of the stores keep them stored properly and i already had a bad experience with dead yeast smack pack the Windsor was the only one left or Munich but i went with Windsor since Munich is for Wheat beers and other stuff i think

I did something similar in October in which I just picked a wide variety of grains I like and put them together. The beer was called "Monster Mash". It turned out ok and got better with age but was a lesson learned that it is better to tweak only a few specialty grains instead of "reinventing the wheel"

yeah that's what i figured i could do with this one cause even if i screw up im not in a race to make the perfect beer that's definitely going to be the fun part about brewing is tweaking things here and there to get a good beer

yeah that's what i figured i could do with this one cause even if i screw up im not in a race to make the perfect beer that's definitely going to be the fun part about brewing is tweaking things here and there to get a good beer
+1 This is the same way I started. One question tho: why the irish moss?

More worried about the 9lbs DME and the Yeast. Hopefully you aerated the **** out of it...cause I've done similar things before. You have 10lbs of fermentables in there and i've had problems even when making 1 liter starts and that OG getting it to attenuate past 1.025 And I ended up with beer that was very sweet. You may try adding 2-3 cups of boiled sugar when you get a sense that the fermentation is dropping off in order to hopefully give the yeast an extra boost to hopefully finish attenuating the malt.

And from reading about the yeast you used...looks like you may have made the mistake i made. Using a medium level attenuating english ale yeast. Next time I recommend a more robust attenuating yeast.

Don't worry i did the exact same thing as you a few times...not just once.

Just be careful from now on what yeast you choose for something of that O.G. Or pitch onto a yeast cake from a previous beer that had say 6 or so pounds of malt to ferment.

More worried about the 9lbs DME and the Yeast. Hopefully you aerated the **** out of it...cause I've done similar things before. You have 10lbs of fermentables in there and i've had problems even when making 1 liter starts and that OG getting it to attenuate past 1.025 And I ended up with beer that was very sweet. You may try adding 2-3 cups of boiled sugar when you get a sense that the fermentation is dropping off in order to hopefully give the yeast an extra boost to hopefully finish attenuating the malt.

And from reading about the yeast you used...looks like you may have made the mistake i made. Using a medium level attenuating english ale yeast. Next time I recommend a more robust attenuating yeast.

Don't worry i did the exact same thing as you a few times...not just once.

Just be careful from now on what yeast you choose for something of that O.G. Or pitch onto a yeast cake from a previous beer that had say 6 or so pounds of malt to ferment.
yeah i spent 15 mins spinning shaking the hell out of the carboy biggest work out i got in a month i also helped my yeast out by giving it some nutrient

Latest posts

Back