English Porter Black Pearl Porter (AG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey BM, what do you think adding a half pound of Special B will do to this recipe? I have 3# of it and was considering adding a half pound, and using the rest of your ingredients, thanks.:mug:

ALL GRAIN - 5 Gallons
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)

0.50 oz Fuggles [4.52%] (60 min)
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.20%] (2 min)

0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)

1.00 cup Malto-Dextrine (Boil 20.0 min)
4.00 oz Lactose (Boil 15.0 min)

1 Pkgs London Ale (Wyeast Labs #1028)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13.00 lb
Mash In Add 4.06 gal of water at 170.5 F 158.0 F 45 min
Mash Out Add 2.50 gal of water at 206.7 F 175.0 F 15 min

Primary 1 Week (60 Degrees)
Secondary 10 Days (60 Degrees)
Kegged and Force Carbed or Primed and Bottled

This was a very good, very rich Porter. Nice sweetness and great mouthfeel. Friends who shy away from Stout loved this milder (but creamier) dark beer.

I was prepared to make this until someone called it a "sweet porter".

How sweet is it?

I just brewed this a week ago and I have to say this is going to absolutely be the best beer I've made so far. Based on the samples, the description is right on. I did do things a little differently though, most notably skipping the lactose addition, subbing Kent Goldings, upping the IBUs to about 24, and fermenting around 67*F with US-05, but DAMN is this a rich and approachable porter. Great recipe, biermuncher.

Oswegan: Like I said, it isn't the same beer but I didn't notice a cloying or lingering sweetness if that's what you're worried about. It was more of a malt forward sweetness while the chocolate malt and the nuttier flavors from the oatmeal stole the show in the finish. You could always up the IBUs to more familiar territory in order to balance out the sweetness, but I would keep them on the lower side of things to let everything else come through. Hope you don't mind me cutting in here, biermuncher.

I only have one 12oz bottle of this! where did all my precious beer go! :( Next time I make it I'll be omitting the Lactose as well. My attenuation kind of sucked, so mine did end up on the sweet end. But it was still really, really good. I still have beer left of all of the other batches I've done, but all of my friends absolutely loved this beer- both big beer drinkers, and others who have not liked my more aggressive beers.

What I would do- wait until bottling to decide if you want to add the lactose. It's not goign to do anything sitting in the fermenter, so you might as well wait until the very end to decide if you need it or not.

I brewed this about 2.5 months ago ... I subbed EKG for the Fuggles cause I had 'em around. After 3 weeks in the bottle it was like, eh, fine but not great. But after 5-6 weeks in the bottle? Hot damn!! Seriously, it's a little like drinking a delicious roasty milkshake, it's so smooth and creamy. Part of me wants to pour it over ice cream, it's so good!

Brought it to a party last week and lots of people were seriously impressed. I'm really bummed that I drank so many before it really came together. But as soon as it did I threw 6 in the back of the closet to be discovered in a few months, when I'm sure it'll get even better. Great beer - highly recommended!

I brewed this about 2.5 months ago ... I subbed EKG for the Fuggles cause I had 'em around. After 3 weeks in the bottle it was like, eh, fine but not great. But after 5-6 weeks in the bottle? Hot damn!! Seriously, it's a little like drinking a delicious roasty milkshake, it's so smooth and creamy. Part of me wants to pour it over ice cream, it's so good!

Brought it to a party last week and lots of people were seriously impressed. I'm really bummed that I drank so many before it really came together. But as soon as it did I threw 6 in the back of the closet to be discovered in a few months, when I'm sure it'll get even better. Great beer - highly recommended!

Heading into the cool seasons, this is a nice one to have on hand.

Made this yesterday. Everything went well except when I tasted my sample it had what I would describe as a slightly burnt after taste. I'm not sure if I scorched the wort or if it was maybe the chocolate malt as I haven't done an AG with that dark a malt yet.Hopefully I didn't screw it up.

Made this yesterday. Everything went well except when I tasted my sample it had what I would describe as a slightly burnt after taste. I'm not sure if I scorched the wort or if it was maybe the chocolate malt as I haven't done an AG with that dark a malt yet.Hopefully I didn't screw it up.

Dark roasted malts need some time to mellow. Green beer has a tendency to be very harsh tasting.

You know the other day I made an Oatmeal Stout, and my boil off was just less than usual, so I had to boil longer. When I tasted the sample, I thougth the same thing, it tasted burnt. 3 Weeks later I kegged it and tasted it, I couldnt taste it any more. Should be even better by November.

I brewed this last Saturday on my double batch brew day. Took a Hydro sample today, sitting at 1.031, so still a bit to go but that sample tasted awesome! I am very much looking forward to this, thank you for sharing this excellent recipe BM!

Just bottled this Saturday after 4 weeks in primary. My FG was at 1.033 which is a little high but seems to be fairly common as I read through the thread.My OG was 1.071 so it's still just a shade under 5 abv. I'll check back in 3 weeks after the first taste test.

tried this for the first time today after brewing it on 8/8 and I just wanna say thanks BM its an awesome recipe. Wasnt even cold or very carbed up yet and it tasted fantastic.

tried this for the first time today after brewing it on 8/8 and I just wanna say thanks BM its an awesome recipe. Wasnt even cold or very carbed up yet and it tasted fantastic.

Excellent

MrBurns.jpg

has anyone tried this using the fly sparge? Would you still sparge at 175 as opposed to the usual 168? I'm also curious what might happen if I increase the grain/water to 1.4 qrts water/grain. Thoughts?

Well it took 8 weeks for the burnt taste to subside but it's turned into a really nice beer and will only get better as it ages I suspect. I steeped 2 vanilla beans in vodka and added them at bottling so if anything it's a little too sweet but still very drinkable and that too should get better with age. I've been holding off on letting anyone try it until I thought it was acceptable but as BM says I think many of my friends that shy away from stout will really like this.

Just brewed this last night and pitched S-05 (all I had on hand). Looks and smells great! Just a quick question / thought about the IBUs. They calculate to about 6. This seems kind of low - should they be higher? All of the other BM recipes I have made have been great, so I am trusting this one also but I was just wondering.

Just brewed this last night and pitched S-05 (all I had on hand). Looks and smells great! Just a quick question / thought about the IBUs. They calculate to about 6. This seems kind of low - should they be higher? All of the other BM recipes I have made have been great, so I am trusting this one also but I was just wondering.

I know the IBU's seem low, but the roasted malts in this lend their own bitterness. Trust me...if you want something on the rich and malty side with a hint of sweetness...this will be great. :mug:

Thanks for the quick answer BM. Like I said in my first post, all of your recipes that I've made have been great :mug:. I just hadn't seen a recipe with such low IBUs before. I will post again when this beer is done.

So I wanted to add some licorice to this but wasn't sure how to proceed, 1 stick during the boil? Will it over sweeten the beer or add flavor? Should I use star anise instead? I'm looking forward to brewing this.

Does anyone have this recipe in either promash or beersmith using a flysparge? I want to compare with mine. I have 5 gals conditioning now, its looking good so far, can't wait to taste it.

I'm really curious about the sparge, you mashed out at 175, would you still sparge at 168 or 175? Why so high?

Just bottled this last night. Ended up with 61 12 oz. bottles :drunk:! OG was 1.064 and FG was 1.028 for an ABV of 4.7. Tasted awesome and I am looking forward to "testing" one next week. Thanks again for the recipe BM :mug:!

BM you have great recipes! I am thinking of brewing this and your Bass Clone for st paddys day and making them into black and tans, you think they will float right?

BM you have great recipes! I am thinking of brewing this and your Bass Clone for st paddys day and making them into black and tans, you think they will float right?

Hmmmm. Hard to tell.

A typical back and tan requires a lighter ABV on top (Dry Stout) and a heavier ABV on the bottom (Pale Ale). Using a Porter at around 5.5+ and a similar ABV pale might get you too close for clear separation.

Hmmmm. Hard to tell.

A typical back and tan requires a lighter ABV on top (Dry Stout) and a heavier ABV on the bottom (Pale Ale). Using a Porter at around 5.5+ and a similar ABV pale might get you too close for clear separation.

That was my fear, but I thought it had to do with final gravitys and not abv... Are the FGs for these too beers close also? They sound like they would be so go together!

Just had a glass of this last night and it is great. I only made 2 1/2 gals so I could try out my party pig.

Now I have to make a 5 gal batch because the wife loved it also.

thanks again BM

I'm planning this one for Wednesday, SWMBO just discovered the joy of porters and is pretty pumped for it. Will I need to make a starter for this guy?? Cheers!

This was my second all grain, and everything went flawlessly (except for not having any sanitizer...) hit all my mash temps perfectly, and ended with an OG of 1.061 on the dot. Thanks for the recipe!

This was my second all grain, and everything went flawlessly (except for not having any sanitizer...) hit all my mash temps perfectly, and ended with an OG of 1.061 on the dot. Thanks for the recipe!

Excellent.

Remember that a portion of those 1061 points are in the form of unfermentables so don't be alarmed with what appears to be a stalled fermentation and a higher FG. That's kind of the point with this beer.

So the first post suggests 1 week primary 10 days secondary, but then... strait to keg, couple days and drink? or would it still be a bit too green then and should be aged in the keg a bit?

I'm 11 days in primary right now (OG 1.60, my first AG attempt), meant to move to secondary after a week, but been busy... can't wait! but will if more aging after the secondary really helps this one out.

So the first post suggests 1 week primary 10 days secondary, but then... strait to keg, couple days and drink? or would it still be a bit too green then and should be aged in the keg a bit?

I'm 11 days in primary right now (OG 1.60, my first AG attempt), meant to move to secondary after a week, but been busy... can't wait! but will if more aging after the secondary really helps this one out.

Rack it to a 2nd and give it a week. Keg, chill and serve in about another week. The low IBU's and the mellow/sweeter taste profile means it can get to tap sooner.

OK, first AG yesterday using this recipe. Overall, it went great. Done in 4.5 hours including clean-up. 1.060 OG and bubbling nicely in the carboy. Smelled great and looks good (a little lighter than I thought it would be, maybe itll darken?). I did get stuck sparge though. Ive been reading some other posts concerning this, but Id like to explain my particular situation and get a little insight. Thanks in advance for any help. BTW, Ive already learned so much from you guys. This sight is a blessing to us new guys.
I made a MLT out of a 5 gall (round) cooler with a ss braid (similar to Fly Guy's) with no valve ( I just use gravity to feed or not, by lifting or lowering the end of the tube above or below the liquid level). It seemed to get stopped up after a gallon or so was drained into the pot. Dumped it (twice) into a 6 gal bottling bucket, rinsed ss braid, dumped back into MLT. I ended up scooping grain out with a strainer to finish. A little frustrating, but I got it done. I wondered if the amount (13lbs) of grain in this recipe was to much for the style MLT Im using.

I just brewed up this beer 2.5 weeks ago. It's looking pretty good, but my FG has been stuck at 1.031 for 1.5 weeks now despite an OG of only 1.050. Is anyone else finishing this high?

I'll be brewing this (or something similar) sometime mid to late summer as a base for a halloween "pirate" porter....spiced with cinnamon, coconut and bay rum cologne....har!!!!

I brewed this up today, hit 1.06 OG, and pitched Nottingham yeast. What have people had for FG with all the non-fermentable sugars?

Hopefully it'll turn out alright, first AG.

I'm going off memory but if i remember correctly I had a 1.06 OG and my FG was 1.026. And it's currently in a keg and amazingly delicious.

For aging: Primary 11 days, Secondary: 1 week Then kegged. After 1 week on CO2 (room temp) I was drinking it and it was good, a little under carbed but not by much, but after 2 weeks (second week aged cold) in the keg it was where it would consider it "ready" just creamier and a more balanced flavor. And again from memory, but i think the pressure was set for around 2 vols of CO2, maybe a bit lower.

And oh yeah, i stuck with the recipe exactly. (one cup malto-dextrin turned out to be 4 oz for me btw)

Back