Golden Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTBREWDOG

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm currently brewing a clone of McEwan's Scotch Ale and they call for Lyle's Golden Syrup. I can't find it any place here in Missoula. I've searched in specialty grocery stores, regular grocery stores, brew stores ect... I'm looking to see if anyone knows possibly where I can get the stuff in the states or if anyone knows any substitution. Corn syrup just won't cut it. I tasted the stuff and hell if I'm putting that in my beer. I'd rather use some sort of sugar. Anyhow any advice would be really handy.

Cheers! :mug:

Joe

I've seen this popping up in local supermarkets more and more. It's usually in the sugar syrup section and some supermarkets have even added a British section with teas, biscuits, Heinz Baked Beans, Mushy Peas and the REAL Cadbury Chocolate (not the stuff made on contract by Hershey).

I use LGS frequently in Bitters and other British beers. It usually runs about $5+ here in the states. It's only around 50p in the UK!

You can find it at World Market if you have one near you. It will be bloody expensive though. :(

edit: [URL="http://www.amazon.com/Tate-Lyles-Golden-Syrup-454g/dp/B000BTB66M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=grocery&qid=1257006177&sr=8-3"]Amazon
[/URL]

That isn't really shipping from Amazon so his cost would be $11.73 for a tin.
And you would never know when it will show up if it shows up.

We always carry it if you cant find it locally:
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=427

Forrest

Thanks all!! I'm going to go check out a few more places and then substitute brown sugar... I know it won't be the same but I've had minor success with it.

I hear the stuff is pricey. I just don't know why the LHBS's don't carry it... I mean enough British recipes call for it...

Orfy -- How might a guy make his own invert sugar syrup?

Joe

Thanks all!! I'm going to go check out a few more places and then substitute brown sugar... I know it won't be the same but I've had minor success with it.

I hear the stuff is pricey. I just don't know why the LHBS's don't carry it... I mean enough British recipes call for it...

Joe

I use dark brown sugar in my bitter recipes. A better substitute though would be demerara sugar if you want to stay in style.

Joe

LHBS used to carry it because the homebrew distributor used to carry it. They stopped carrying it.

Forrest

Joe

Add a bit of acid (lemon/citric) and boil.

If anyone is still following this and/or is interested. I was in my local grocery store last night (QFC) and happened to notice Lyles Golden Syrup. They had it on the top shelf in the section with the pancake syrup. Hope that helps anyone else trying to find it at their stores.

Do you recall the price?

I tried our local grocery store and they never heard of it. I checked the sugar and syrup sections just to be sure. They did have demerara and turbinado.

Make it yourself! Golden syrup is roughly 50/50 invert sugar syrup and sucrose (table sugar). You need at least 1/1000th amount of acid per amount of plain table sugar by weight, add water and boil for 20 minutes. Easy. The longer it boils, the darker it gets, so stop when you think it's golden enough. For the acid, I use Cream of Tartar from the grocery store because it seems the most flavor neutral.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverted_sugar_syrup

First I make a sucrose syrup by adding just enough hot water to dissolve 4 cups of plain old sugar. Adding extra cream of tartar doesn't hurt so next I put in the smallest amount I can measure: 1/4 teaspoon Cream of Tartar. Bring it to a boil and cook for 20 minutes, stirring once in awhile. That's it. I can't tell the difference between this and Lyle's Golden Syrup, but if you want you can mix your now inverted sugar with an equal amount of sucrose syrup (that you cooked without Cream of Tartar) to get closer to what is actually in the can.

But have you tasted Lyle's? It is amazing. Also, who wants to work sub minimum wage? If you consider your time, it costs you more to make it than buy it.

Please taste Lyles first so you know whether you have come close if you make it yourself.

Forrest

If I start considering my time, then I'll have to quit homebrewing altogether.:D

And I can't really tell the difference, but then I don't have the most discerning palette either. But the main reason I make it is because it's so hard to find where I live and I haven't planned ahead enough to order it in advance.

But have you tasted Lyle's? It is amazing. Also, who wants to work sub minimum wage? If you consider your time, it costs you more to make it than buy it.

Please taste Lyles first so you know whether you have come close if you make it yourself.

Forrest

My SWMBO is English and orders from http://www.foodireland.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=british all the time their shipping is fast and reasonable. It's also the site from the Amazon link above.
They have an A+ BBB rating as well and located in NY.

At the end of the day it's way cheaper then the trips we make across the pond and ship boxes of supplies back home ;)

Good price. You have to order a minimum of five at $3.29 each. Shipping was about ten bucks, bringing your per can cost to just over $5. Most places I've seen charge close to $6 w/o shipping.

Looks like I need to look at my price. I will match any delivered price. With me you don't have to buy 5 cans unless you want to. Our shipping is less and you are more likely to want me things from me.

The can is a pound of syrup. If you like Pecan Pie, substitute the corn syrup with Lyle's Golden Syrup. Your eyes will roll back in your head and your toes will curl.

(sorry if I was too illustrative)

Forrest

Looks like I need to look at my price. I will match any delivered price. With me you don't have to buy 5 cans unless you want to. Our shipping is less and you are more likely to want me things from me.

The can is a pound of syrup. If you like Pecan Pie, substitute the corn syrup with Lyle's Golden Syrup. Your eyes will roll back in your head and your toes will curl.

Forrest

Ohhhh God...haven't had a toe curler in awhile....better check into this magical syrupy stuff.

It was $6.40 at my grocery store. Close enough in price to buy if I really needed it, but AHS has the better price if I were making an order anyway.

Forrest

Sorry forrest wasn't trying to out match you at all. I appreciate the price match though. I was only attempting to point out the fact that this is the place my SWMBO shops for all her English goods. I wasn't trying to put you or your awsome service out of the scene.

I usually have plenty of Lyles around the house as SWMBO makes treckle sponge and custard all the time. As as today is bone fire night she made bonefire toffee with the dark Lyles;)

Maybe I need to start using it in my brews ;)

That is a really good idea. I made a cider one time with a pound of Lyle's Golden Syrup, I spent the next 20 min licking the inside of the can clean because it was the best thing I had ever tasted. However, after fermentation the cider didn't taste any different than the ones I had made with good ol table sugar. So I don't know if the fermentation just doesn't leave anything behind or if I just didn't use enough, but from now on I am saving my Golden Syrup for cooking.

On a slightly related note, I cannot find any British treacle locally, which I want for priming my Shoggoth's Old Ale. Can this be made somehow, or could I substitute molasses? I'm thinking cutting some molasses with some golden syrup...

ETA - just found this at Austin Homebrew.

Lyle's Black Treacle is made from cane molasses, inverted sugar, and Golden Syrup. It is a dark and intensely sweet syrup. A classic baking additive in England, it is usually used in dark moist cakes, toffees, and Christmas puddings. And it has brewing applications. With a lovibond of 100, it is usually used in dark English ales (like an Old Ale) and sometimes in stouts and porters.

So maybe I can.

Back