New Michelob varietes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReverseApacheMaster

Reaction score
I keep driving past a billboard on my way to law school advertising six new flavors (pale ale, marzen, um... some others). Has anybody risked trying these?

I tried the Pale Ale - it wasn't bad....not in the same league as SNPA, but still not a bad beer.

I always thought the orginal Michelob wasn't a bad beer though, either.

The Honey Wheat is terrible... It's unusual to see me pour a beer out. But that one got the toss.

The others I've had were drinkable.

had the irish red last night. much better than the miller light option. then again i was blitzed. but tasted good to me!:drunk:

I've had the new Fall Pack. That has: Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefe, Porter, and Rye P.A..

Of the four, new flavors are the Rye, and Bavarian Hefe. The Rye is okay, the Hefe is better than expected. Good Banana/Clove ester. It's apropriate for the style. Good way to indoctrinate newbs into craft beers.

I have to say, I've had the Porter before, and wasn't impressed, but the Porters in this batch seem to be fresher/better somehow. Maybe a tweak in the process. Prior iterations were thin, and well....off. I found it to be extremely lacking in the Porter category.

Don't know if anyone has had the Dunkleweisen. Again..not a bad job.

The Honey Wheat is terrible... It's unusual to see me pour a beer out. But that one got the toss.

The others I've had were drinkable.

Curiously that's my favorite of the pack with the possible exception of the Pale Ale. It had a great honey flavor IMO. I truly enjoy the pale ale too - it seems so very "sessionable" to me. Too many pale ales are overly alcoholic or hopped like IPAs IMO. I also like the fact that I can by a 6er at a "sessionable" price...

The sampler cases they put out are my usual party fare since it covers a variety of tastes and doesn't break me. My brewing pipeline has picked up a little lately so I haven't been buying as much though...

I keep driving past a billboard on my way to law school advertising six new flavors (pale ale, marzen, um... some others). Has anybody risked trying these?

You're willing to risk $200k on law school but you're afraid to drop $10 on a case of Michelob? ;)

Seriously, though, I think the beers in the Michelob variety pack would get pretty solid marks if you took off the labels. If you're on a budget, it's a damn good value in my opinion.

If you can find it, try this one:

M313_winterAreaBG.jpg

I had it last year and it was great! I need to look for it again.

You're willing to risk $200k on law school but you're afraid to drop $10 on a case of Michelob? ;)

Seriously, though, I think the beers in the Michelob variety pack would get pretty solid marks if you took off the labels. If you're on a budget, it's a damn good value in my opinion.

Hey, law school is only a cool $100k. :cross:

I'm having a hard time justifying buying anything unless I'm out drinking because I have so much great homebrew in the fridge.

I haven't picked one up lately, but I picked up a couple of the variety packs a few years back. Overall they were ok, kind of boring, but drinkable.

I can't say I would recommend that Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale that Brew-Happy is recommending. One of only two beers that I've had to dump. Absolutely horrible stuff, IMO.

When you think about it, it should make sense that these are decent beers.

I mean, they have the resources to make good beer, but most of the time they don't because joe six-pack will buy it anyway. Along comes a market of discerning beer drinkers that want a little more flavor and they tap into it. Use these resources to develop something that can compete with all of the microbreweries out now.

I remember going to Sea World when they were owned by AB and getting free samples at their beer section. The Bare-Knuckle stout was pretty darn good! Comparable to Murphy's or Guinness draught. I could never find it in the stores though.

If you can find it, try this one:

M313_winterAreaBG.jpg

I had it last year and it was great! I need to look for it again.

WB is one of the worst beers that has ever reached my lips.

Some friends and I did a double-blind Winter Ale taste test last year with 24 beers.

Winter's Bourbon was in last place by far. No one could stomach more than one sip.

Back