bad seal on the bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patpend3

Reaction score
Just bought a 2 gallon fermentation bucket, Pitched the yeast last night. today I went down to the basement to check how things were coming-along, and noticed very weak tremblings from the air lock.

I think I have a bad seal on the bucket. Will this effect the beer inside and is it to late to do any thing about it?

Beer should be fine.... When its fermenting, the co2 pushes all of the oxygen out so you wont have any worries about oxidation and the off gasing will help prevent any wild yeasts, bacteria from falling in. Make sure the lid is snapped on tight and you should be fine!

I'd rather have a bad seal on my bucket than a thirsty otter.

Your beer will be fine. And it's likely you just haven't set the lid firmly enough. Sometimes it takes a rubber mallet to get those things closed properly.

3 years in and I have yet to do more than just set the lid on the bucket.

So what if the airlock is bubbling and you have a leak...It's no big deal...The airlock is merely a vent, to keep from painting the ceiling with your precious brew. So if the excess co2 is getting out elsewhere, then that is fine as well.

Many people don't even do a lid/airlock combination, instead they use a piece of plexiglass on the bucket, or tinfoil.

The co2 cushions and protects your beer, and if it is getting out, it is also preventing anything from getting in. I have 9 fermenters, and have been brewing for years and have only airlock bubbling about half the time, and that is spread over buckets, carboys, water bottles, etc. And I have never had an issue.

Don't sweat airclock activity, lack of it, or leaks. You will be fine.

The only thing I would worry about is whether the space that the CO2 is leaking out of is big enough for fruit flies. I highly doubt it. Being able to see the bubbles coming out the airlock is cool too though.

The only thing I would worry about is whether the space that the CO2 is leaking out of is big enough for fruit flies. I highly doubt it. Being able to see the bubbles coming out the airlock is cool too though.

I find it doubtful that a fruit fly would be able to fly up under wherever the lid meets the wall of the bucket, then work it's way up and over, fighting against the current of co2 that is leaking out of that gap, and STILL manage to then fall into the bucket. Sorry bro, but I kinda find that whole scenario a little preposterous, considering they can be killed by a breath. They may be annoying little buggers but, they are not that tenacious. :D

Dude's mind was starting to be at ease and you came up with THAT????:fro:

fruit-fly's... I'm still worried about thirsty otters.

Don't worry, thirsty otters have really bad taste in beer.

otterwithbeer_feath_br.jpg

I had a problem with the seal from the first batch in my bucket, I just threw four C-clamps on the lid. (I like bubbles)

Back