Floating in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puravida286

Reaction score
I have my second batch in the secondary right now and I plan to bottle this weekend. However I have noticed a few "islands" of white spots appearing at the surface of the beer. Could this be contamination or is it just clumps of yeast rising to the surface? I'm sorry I can't provide a picture but they are all about dime to nickel sized white spots at the surface which appear to be clusters of tiny bubbles.

sounds like co2 bubbles from the yeast - i usually still have a few on top at bottling time - no problem

I remember how paranoid I was when I first did this, I almost cleaned the whole kitchen beforehand.

Hey, puravida just beat me to it as I was going to ask the same question after looking at my secondary from my very first batch. Double thanks for the question and the reply's. Thought I had some sort of Mold Island or something, but regardless, I was going to drink it anyway.

Ok I need to open this one up for discussion again...The bubbles kept growing into a small foam head on top of the entire beer and now I have fermentation and airlock activity again! The beer was chillin completely still in the secondary for about a week and now it looks like I have active fermentation all over again. Has anyone experienced this SECONDary fermentation before?

Back