Zig zag twine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanP

Reaction score
I planted my hops last weekend (first time!) but they are at the foot my garage wall which is only about 12ft at its highest point. Instead of setting up twine running to the top of the wall directly from stakes, as is normal, I wondered if I could give the bines more distance to climb if I arranged the twine in a zig zag fashion up the wall. Does anyone know if this is likely to work? Or a dumb idea? I figure I will probably have to build the paths up the wall gradually as the bines grow, to prevent them going up vertically and jumping the gaps, but it seems to me like it might work.

Thanks!

It can work but it's going to take some of your time to manually rewrap the bines. They want to go straight up, following the sun in a clockwise manner around the twine.
Good luck.

depends on if you're upside-down or not ;)

Haha...Never really thought about it like that, but yeah! If you're looking top-down it's clockwise but bottom-up it's counter-clockwise.

Just train it to follow the sun's path!

:mug:

Back